wheel width vs tire width and driveability

You're such a rebel, rules and laws don't apply. Why not shave the seat belts too? Take your 510 out for a drive and (even wearing seat belts) I bet that in the event of an accident, you are in the most un-survivable car on the road. There's a lot of risk driving these old cars.

Why do we do stupid things? I have no idea what Mr. Clarkson is referring to. Is it safety related stupid like removing side marker lights? Or spending stupid money? That quote makes no sense on the Realm either. If you spend that amount of money on something useless it's certainly not  it's because you "you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart" it's because you have a useless amount of money to spend.  You do... because you can. 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found a few different things on the net about this, but nothing specific.   I have a pair of 14x10 -32 Watanabe RS that I will be putting behind some flares on the rear of the dime before spring time.  I am looking to pick up a pair of SSRs to "complete" my 14 inch wheel set.  The issue I am running into is the pair of SSRs i am currently eyeballing for the front are 14x7.5 -6.  They are 3 piece welded, and I plane to re barrel them, I am curious as to if I can install them as they are currently, with no ill effects, if I keep my tire size in check.  I plan to use 185s for the front and 205s for the rear, when I mentioned this to a drift clique I hang with they said it was going to be doomsday for my handling and ride characteristics.  I dont plan on drifting or pushing the car on my "new" $2k+ wheels, but Id still like to have some safe spirited fun at any given time.  

question:  are the negative effects of a 2.5 inch difference in width between front and rear wheels mitigated if tires size is kept under a 20mm difference?

thanks for any input!

Seems this post has gone off on yet another awesome tangent. Nice to see at least some of you guys tried to help this guy out with some info, I'll try to do the same.

I run Wat's with a slight stagger 14x7 +3 on the front and 14x7.5 -3.5 on the rear on 185 55's. I run 510 T3 coilovers on the front which gives a narrower track than the 280's, someone please chime in with the difference (there are disadvantages to the 510 struts though, narrower spindles, bearing less durable, etc.).

I don't have any poke but I run about -1.0 camber on the front. Looks like you are going for 14x7.5 -6, that would bring you approximately .75 of an inch further out than what I run. You will likely need to roll the arches and crank the camber to around -5 degrees, maybe less? If not will will probably need to pull the arches, but I don't think you'll need to if you're ok with a bit of negative camber. I did roll the inner arches on the rear but no flare. You are going for flares on the rear though so you're not concerned with that. I'll try to attach an image here to show you the fit.

Good luck, your Dime is yours - make it an expression of yourself!

FOTD51C_zpscgeeijwx.jpg

FOTA27_zps97q0jwlx.jpg

Make no mistake, I love you too Mike.

You're such a rebel, rules and laws don't apply. Why not shave the seat belts too? Take your 510 out for a drive and (even wearing seat belts) I bet that in the event of an accident, you are in the most un-survivable car on the road. There's a lot of risk driving these old cars.

If expressing my individual taste with my car while breaking the rules is being a rebel, than color me guilty. Are you really making the analogy that removing side markers is equivalent to removing seat belts? Really? Once again Mike, your logic is glaringly flawed here and you know it. BTW, My car has a full roll cage, 5 point harnesses, emergency power shut off, built in fire suppression, and an ATL Fuel Safe fuel cell. so no I'm not driving the most unsurvivable car on the road. Far from it. But damn, I must have a death wish taking those side markers off.... my bright ass yellow car.  :lol: 

Why do we do stupid things? I have no idea what Mr. Clarkson is referring to. Is it safety related stupid like removing side marker lights? Or spending stupid money? That quote makes no sense on the Realm either. If you spend that amount of money on something useless it's certainly not  it's because you "you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart" it's because you have a useless amount of money to spend.  You do... because you can.

According to Mr Clarkson, you are demonstrating that you have neither a soul or a heart.

Make no mistake, I love you too Mike.

If expressing my individual taste with my car while breaking the rules is being a rebel, than color me guilty. Are you really making the analogy that removing side markers is equivalent to removing seat belts? Really? Once again Mike, your logic is glaringly flawed here and you know it. BTW, My car has a full roll cage, 5 point harnesses, emergency power shut off, built in fire suppression, and an ATL Fuel Safe fuel cell. so no I'm not driving the most unsurvivable car on the road. Far from it. But damn, I must have a death wish taking those side markers off.... my bright ass yellow car.  :lol:

Seat belts, roll bars, 5 point harnesses, emergency power shut off, built in fire suppression, and an ATL Fuel Safe fuel cell don't prevent accidents they are all passive safety devices. They don't prevent or avoid accidents they deal with an accident. Accident avoidance, now there's a safety device!! What could you do to maximize the avoidance of an accident in the first place. Wouldn't that be preferable to having one? Lets see, you could make your car more visible. Maybe paint it a bright color although this wouldn't be much help in the dark, or maybe keep the the federally mandated side marker lights/reflectors that do this in the first place.

According to Mr Clarkson, you are demonstrating that you have neither a soul or a heart.

Wrong. That's reserved for those able to buy a $128,000 Porsche. I own a Datsun.

• Like 1

Seat belts, roll bars, 5 point harnesses, emergency power shut off, built in fire suppression, and an ATL Fuel Safe fuel cell don't prevent accidents they are all passive safety devices. They don't prevent or avoid accidents they deal with an accident. Accident avoidance, now there's a safety device!! What could you do to maximize the avoidance of an accident in the first place. Wouldn't that be preferable to having one? Lets see, you could make your car more visible. Maybe paint it a bright color although this wouldn't be much help in the dark, or maybe keep the the federally mandated side marker lights/reflectors that do this in the first place.

Wrong. That's reserved for those able to buy a $128,000 Porsche. I own a Datsun.

Yes, seat belts are a passive safety device that save 10s of thousands of lives yearly, so why would you equate them to side markers? Taking nothing away from the majesty of pragmatism, it's just that I think side makers are uglier than they are useful. Especially when you have reflector tape on all four bumper corners. BTW, I have a nice set of 510 markers if you're interested in saving someone else's life. 

That's an interesting interpretation of Jeremy's little editorial, but "silly amount of money" is a relative term. Such as spending a relatively silly amount of money on silly, trivial things that will help you not one jot, but will make your Datsun faster than a $128,000 Porsche. Although it's my subjective interpretation, I think that's what Mr. Clarkson meant by demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart. But if you believe that's reserved for wealth Porsche owners, you are welcome to your opinion.

I think the original post is a question about stretched tires, correct? I used to be into that scene when I was heavy into vw's. But there's a certain point where you need to call it quits. Like when you can't turn hard because you're concerned about the tire breaking the bead and going flat. That's not cool.

• Like 1

Yes, seat belts are a passive safety device that save 10s of thousands of lives yearly, so why would you equate them to side markers? Taking nothing away from the majesty of pragmatism, it's just that I think side makers are uglier than they are useful. Especially when you have reflector tape on all four bumper corners. BTW, I have a nice set of 510 markers if you're interested in saving someone else's life. 

That's an interesting interpretation of Jeremy's little editorial, but "silly amount of money" is a relative term. Such as spending a relatively silly amount of money on silly, trivial things that will help you not one jot, but will make your Datsun faster than a $128,000 Porsche. Although it's my subjective interpretation, I think that's what Mr. Clarkson meant by demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart. But if you believe that's reserved for wealth Porsche owners, you are welcome to your opinion.

Not everyone removes the reflectors and then adds reflective tape. (which I find distasteful btw) Marker lights/reflectors tell other drivers your car's directionality and probable direction of movement by the colors. Reflective tape is.... just tape.

Absolutely, seat belts save lives because this is demonstrative. Unfortunately you have to actually have an accident and hopefully full frontal. Side marker lights or reflectors work all the time wether you are in the car or not, even if your lights are off. It's damn hard to measure how many times your car was seen and avoided because.... nothing happened. So don't dismiss them as superfluous.

I think it was about an extra $800 for a key fob that matches the paint and $1,200 for white faced gauges (instead of the usual ones) and $8,500 for some other bullshit option like navigation, that does nothing for the car just proves you don't care about money because you have too much and are an arrogant twit. Maybe it was that British humor and wit.

Yes, everyone has the god given right to do idiotic things and shorten their lives any way they choose.

love you too.....

• Like 1

Not everyone removes the reflectors and then adds reflective tape. (which I find distasteful btw) Marker lights/reflectors tell other drivers your car's directionality and probable direction of movement by the colors. Reflective tape is.... just tape.

Absolutely, seat belts save lives because this is demonstrative. Unfortunately you have to actually have an accident and hopefully full frontal. Side marker lights or reflectors work all the time wether you are in the car or not, even if your lights are off. It's damn hard to measure how many times your car was seen and avoided because.... nothing happened. So don't dismiss them as superfluous.

I think it was about an extra $800 for a key fob that matches the paint and $1,200 for white faced gauges (instead of the usual ones) and $8,500 for some other bullshit option like navigation, that does nothing for the car just proves you don't care about money because you have too much and are an arrogant twit. Maybe it was that British humor and wit.

Yes, everyone has the god given right to do idiotic things and shorten their lives any way they choose.

love you too.....

And we've come full circle. People can have differing opinions and tastes, and still love each other. 

We all take calculated risks just getting out of bed. That was the most idiotic thing I've done today.

• 2 months later...

Post #21 sums up form over function. In addition to the ones mentioned I don't agree with shaving door handles either or side marker lights. If you are in an accident/fire how is a passer by expected to know how to open your door and get you out ? Those side marker lights are there so that other cars can see you even if you are parked in the dark. Removing them is illegal and as idiotic as not wearing seat belts. Welded differentials, there's another less visible form at the expense of function. The list goes on and is an affront to common sense.   

Is a passer by expected to know how to deal with locked doors? Is it therefore unsafe to drive with locked doors? Would a passer by just give up if they can't find a door handle that opens the door?

Though I usually keep door handles, I more often shave the key holes. 

Thanks for posting this CSL, Interesting study all be it a small test sample of one brand and one tire. Not all tires and sidewalls are made alike though. Not to mention optimizing tire pressure, suspension set up (shock damping, spring rate, roll characteristics), and alignment (toe camber caster) for a specific tire can have a profound effect. Often a study like this with so many uncontrolled variables does more to confuse than it does to inform. For the average Joe however, chances are their choice is driven more by esthetic than real performance. They'll likely do nothing more than slap on a new set of shoes and never make another adjustment, so this study is exactly what they think they need to know to make the "right" decision. In the end, if you don't know what you want it becomes a never ending list of subjective trade offs. That list can be shortened by knowing what you want, and scientifically eliminating what doesn't work. The "best wheel size" is not the same for a young guy vs. an old guy, or as it is for a daily drive, as it is for a weekend solo car, as it is for an all out competition car. Knowing what you want is 80% of the battle. 

• Like 1

What the hell, this is RE-god-damn-diculous.  

Of all the pictures I've collected over the past 17 years of Bosozoku, and Shakotan cars, can't say I've ever seen a 510 done that way.

If your just going for the cartoon car look, why don't you just stick to a chevy corsica ?

Sell the 510 to someone who would appreciate it.

Bosozoku is a statement, form of expression, and in japan an alternative lifestyle of sorts, and by that definition it is extremely broad....  youve never seen a 510 lowered with flares and wide low offset rims?  This is too perfect, look at the post below this one. lol

The Japanese have too much respect for the 510.  B)

It's mostly done to "disposable" cars like Cressidas and other boxy sedans from the 80s...

Well, "Bosozoku" anyway. Shakotan just means " really low car". You will see 510s done that way...   ^_^

derpa derpa derp.  The Japanese drift hakosukas, kenmeris, and authentic bluebirds, all being unanimously considered far more collectible than a USDM 510.  You dont think a 510 is disposable among that list of cars?!?!?!  Please tell me you realize you posted a car the fits the exact description of what direction I will be going, with an undertone of acceptance to boot......   youre too much man. lol

Modern cars.

They all look like electric razors.

what do you know, just as I called out early on, you in fact DONT want form over function, you just want me and everyone else apparently, to conform to your definition of it in regards to datsuns.

Someone is getting testy

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this CSL, Interesting study all be it a small test sample of one brand and one tire. Not all tires and sidewalls are made alike though. Not to mention optimizing tire pressure, suspension set up (shock damping, spring rate, roll characteristics), and alignment (toe camber caster) for a specific tire can have a profound effect. Often a study like this with so many uncontrolled variables does more to confuse than it does to inform. For the average Joe however, chances are their choice is driven more by esthetic than real performance. They'll likely do nothing more than slap on a new set of shoes and never make another adjustment, so this study is exactly what they think they need to know to make the "right" decision. In the end, if you don't know what you want it becomes a never ending list of subjective trade offs. That list can be shortened by knowing what you want, and scientifically eliminating what doesn't work. The "best wheel size" is not the same for a young guy vs. an old guy, or as it is for a daily drive, as it is for a weekend solo car, as it is for an all out competition car. Knowing what you want is 80% of the battle. 

A larger study would be awesome, but it comes down to who is going to do it,...Last thing most are going to do is take a chance on casting a bad light on an advertiser.

The study fit into where most car guys fall into, for reasons of funding. Not many get past the wife and kids to be able to put money in a project. Knowing that going from 15's to 18 is going to be an all around bonus to how the car drives is invaluable information. Most of my friends will never get beyond changing out wheel size,