wheel width vs tire width and driveability

Different countries define it differently. A coupe has to have two doors but if two rows of seating, it's a 2 door sedan. A coupe can still be a coupe if it has limited cramped rear seating compared to it's sedan counterpart. 

I'm using the names that Nissan used.   ;)

Coupes have no B pillar.and are often called a Hardtop 

That would pretty much always be called a hardtop, although Nissan called it a Coupe.  :rofl:

There are 510 coupes but they are right hand drive and only sold in Japan. 

And South Africa. 

No B pillar. Roof line is lower and leaning forward at the C pillar. It could be argued that it cramps the back seating compared to the 'real' 2 door sedan... thus a coupe.

It has a B-pillar. It just has a differently-shaped rear quarter glass to hide it. Structurally it's identical to a sedan. 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm using the names that Nissan used.   ;)

Me too

That would pretty much always be called a hardtop, although Nissan called it a Coupe.  :rofl:

Me too

And South Africa.

I don't take those seriously as they were shipped there in 'kit' form and assembled.... and still a coupe . 

It has a B-pillar. It just has a differently-shaped rear quarter glass to hide it. Structurally it's identical to a sedan.

Yes I'll (sort of) admit is has a B pillar but it's not structurally identically the same as the sedan in looks or strength. The 'B pillar' was smaller and thinner and hidden behind the door and side window frames. They could have left it like a 2 door but wanted to minimize it visually. If the 510 sedan has a B pillar, the JDM 510 Coupe has a b pillar.

The 'B pillar' was smaller and thinner and hidden behind the door and side window frames.

Wow, all the times I've stared loving at pictures of Bluebird Coupes I never noticed that. Well done Nissan.

The windshield is almost 1 cm less tall than the sedan. The rear 1/4 panels are different where the drip molding ends. The Coupe lower rear corner of the quarter window is rounded rather than an acute angle like the sedan. This would have been even more acute with the Coupe's leaning C pillar. The very rear of the door window frame is actually moved forward 2 cm. As the quarter window frame is right up against it it makes the window longer to help remove the shortening caused by the C pillar leaning forward. If it had the sedan B pillar, the quarter window would just look too much like an opera window. It all very subtle but your eye likes it..

"I can't define what a coupe is, but I know it when I see it" .... Associate Justice Potter Stewart 1915

I can only assume the neighsayers in the thread arent familiar with Bosozoku style from japan. 

Of all the pictures I've collected over the past 17 years of Bosozoku, and Shakotan cars, can't say I've ever seen a 510 done that way.

If your just going for the cartoon car look, why don't you just stick to a chevy corsica ?

Sell the 510 to someone who would appreciate it.

Of all the pictures I've collected over the past 17 years of Bosozoku, and Shakotan cars, can't say I've ever seen a 510 done that way.

The Japanese have too much respect for the 510.  B)

It's mostly done to "disposable" cars like Cressidas and other boxy sedans from the 80s...

Well, "Bosozoku" anyway. Shakotan just means " really low car". You will see 510s done that way...   ^_^

Shakotan-510-01.jpg

I've got a 2014 Jetta tdi sportwagon... it gets 45mpg and moves pretty good and lots of aftermarket support for it. It's my "function".... the Datsun is just cooler, which is my "form"

The whole car culture is about finding your nich, Datsun guys have a slightly different outlook on their hobby then others. Hell, old school Japanese cars have toooooons of different factions and themes. Whatever floats your boat.

Mike, you're a purist. I have a ton of respect for that. A lot of it comes with your generation though, there's always new trends and styles. I haven't seen any of them really go away completely. the VIP/herra frush/stance/dorifto/rat whatever stuff will find its place eventually. Plenty of guys out there still doing the 70's style mini truck thing.

Purist yes. Where possible the body should remain untouched. as the original styling cannot be improved on. The vast majority of people have terrible taste in things like rims and other add on junk. Less... is more.

My comments on form were directed to where it's carried too far and detrimentally impairs function. Such as, but not limited to, excessive lowering or camber for the sake of camber, stretched tires and so on....  

Well I guess the response to that is, some vehicles just aren't built for being driven daily, or even normally. You don't see a whole lot of those hellaflush guys ripping around town doing mock 10. Slow and low for the most part, where the object of the style is tucking rims. The contact patch or the tires is incredibly small, but they aren't driving them like race cars. They're about as functional as my daily driven urs4 was. 92' Audi s4 that put down almost 800bhp. Try that in stop and go traffic

It's a somewhat tasteless fad but only paint, it can be repainted when it has run it's course or, if a sold, and it's not changing the vehicles utility or affecting safety. You want an example of a functional hood paint? Flat black. Reduces rising and setting sun glare from glossy paint. A lot of form is fairly harmless and best if it's reversible. I detest hood pins and louvers. They don't affect anything but not easily reversible. (the purist in me rebels) 17" rims on a car that came with 13". Box flairs. Hideously bling rims. The list is endless but mostly a danger to good taste. 

Post #21 sums up form over function. In addition to the ones mentioned I don't agree with shaving door handles either or side marker lights. If you are in an accident/fire how is a passer by expected to know how to open your door and get you out ? Those side marker lights are there so that other cars can see you even if you are parked in the dark. Removing them is illegal and as idiotic as not wearing seat belts. Welded differentials, there's another less visible form at the expense of function. The list goes on and is an affront to common sense.   

Style is ok, that just usually displays bad taste. Lowering can be an advantage, but only if done right and only if not extreme. Welded diffs introduce under and over steer unpredictably on poor traction surfaces. Same with camber mobiles. The cars driving characteristics are changed, not for the best, only for looks. That kind of style needs pointing out for the dangers the owner may not even be aware of in his rush to look cool. 

Those side marker lights are there so that other cars can see you even if you are parked in the dark. Removing them is illegal and as idiotic as not wearing seat belts. 

So I'm an idiot for shaving my side makers, that's good to know. Speaking in absolutes about subjective things like taste is myopic egocentricity aka arrogance. In all reality, even modifying a cars performance "correctly" is technically illegal and dangerous, and I'm 100% certain more people have been injured as a result of that than those who've removed their side markers... So why do we do idiotic shit like this? Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson via Okayfine on the Realm.

• Like 1