Weird zx serial number

Deb

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only the '79 zx had the 4 speed.

I don't know. Many things are published but subject to changes. This is why FSMs have revision printings. I have a 1st revision February 1984 '84 720 manual.

By your number over a thousand more zx's were produced.

I've only had it less then a year..it was sitting, mice living in it when I bought it. It has been great fun and this site and everybody on it great info. This is probably just some (more) weirdness that seems to be the nature of this car!

You've made sure it's not a typo on the title?  Data plates all match?  Firewall VIN matches?

The title on my 320 doesn't match the dataplates because someone miskeyed in the VIN.  Used a lower case "l" instead of an upper case "l", except back in the 1960s most typewriters used a lower case "l"  for the number 1, and they didn't have a separate "1".  So when it got transcribed, it became 1320 instead of L320 since the "l" was the only letter in the serial number.

If everything matches up, it's probably a case of the publications being wrong. 

• Like 1

Well my 83 has a 5 speed. Was there possibly a special edition of the 83 zx?

Yes the '79 had 4 speeds and the 5 speed was an option. From '80 on only 5 speeds were available. A Special Edition would have been recorded I would think.

For the '83 production year, Mar had the lowest production with 1739 non turbo coupes, Oct '82  highest with 3,450 so they can produce almost 3,500 cars in a month. Maybe there were enough left over parts and 575494 was a forecast?

Well I double checked my title and the car vin plate and identification plate and they all have the same number 576864....so the publications are wrong?? I own christines brother?? Oh well...hey anybody know where I can get a ratsun sticker?

A Japanese model Fairlady ZX would be pretty obvious...  Having the steering wheel on the wrong side being a more subtle clue... 

Believe me, the publications, even the official Nissan ones, are not always right. 

Much like the 2 1976 Datsun 620 King Cabs I have owned. Pretty much every publication says they were introduced in 1977.  Except that I've had a '77 as well, and there were enough differences (like a very different wiring harness!) and a date of manufacture well before the end of the '76 production run.  Or the 1976 Model Year emissions stickers both of them had...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

A Japanese model Fairlady ZX would be pretty obvious...  Having the steering wheel on the wrong side being a more subtle clue... 

Believe me, the publications, even the official Nissan ones, are not always right. 

Much like the 2 1976 Datsun 620 King Cabs I have owned. Pretty much every publication says they were introduced in 1977.  Except that I've had a '77 as well, and there were enough differences (like a very different wiring harness!) and a date of manufacture well before the end of the '76 production run.  Or the 1976 Model Year emissions stickers both of them had...

Early "Model Year" production units have a problem!  They are produced before the next model year emission standards are published, and so are built and certified to the standards in place as of the date manufactured, not the later fully published standards.  My 1997 Infiniti J30T is one of these "trapped" units havind a 3 digit for the production model year VIN.  When I bring it in for biennial smog check I have to point out the smog certification sticker to the test tech so that I don't get in to a pissing contest with the DMV.