Datsun 1200 BP4W Build

Hi everyone,

I purchased a Datsun 1200 a while back and am finally getting my build going, which has been tough with a one year old running around.

I bought this car from the original owner, a nice woman who lives outside of Santa Monica. The car's mechanics have been maintained well and at one point the original A12 was removed and replaced with an A15. At the same time they removed the 4 speed and put in a 5 speed. Everything else on the car is original, including the clean leather roof skin. The car has almost no rust, but plenty of dings and dents along with a terrible paint job.

The car:

http://i.imgur.com/71dn4NV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4Wf7zWJ.jpg

What is the exact plan for the build? I'm not sure yet. Originally I bought it to build a rallycross/rally car with, but I keep seeing amazing time attack builds of other cars and I keep thinking about going that route. I do need to make a decision on that....

What I will be doing either way is putting a BP4W 1.8L Mazda Miata motor and 5 speed trans into the car. The engine is built by Kowalski Machine Shop here in So Cal. It is a mild build with a small overbore and custom cams. To handle the power and upgrade the rear to disc brakes I'm planning to put in a Volvo 140/240 Rear Axle and eventually a LSD into that. From there I need to make a decision on what I'll use the car for and plan the suspension accordingly. 

Build steps:

1. Pull motor (almost done)

2. Position Miata motor and mock up mounts / cross member / transmission mount

3. Remove rear axle, fit Volvo axle. Not sure if I want to keep leaf springs yet.

4. Mock up a drive shaft

5. Interior removal and clean up

6. Wire everything

7. Suspension

I'm hoping to update this regularly and that it will help others with their possible swap options in the future. I know there is a guy here who did a Miata swap into his 510, so now I'll contribute to the 1200 side of things.

If you are interested in the engine/trans I am pulling or other pieces let me know. Otherwise they will be up in the classifieds as I pull them out.

• Like 1
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be paying attention as I'm 4 years into my BP swap (not that it's super difficult, but just a general lack of free time with other projects going at the same time). Couple notes, I did mine with a automatic and that required the tunnel to be cut out and have a modified Miata tunnel installed. The 1200 manual tunnel is pretty small so you may also need to cut up the tunnel, probably to a lesser extent. I think the manual trans is like the auto in that there is no trans mount per say. It mounts to the torque arm that goes between the trans and rear end. I just flattened out a spot on the tail housing and welded a plate to use a regular rubber trans mount from a S-10 and built a custom trans crossmember. Also, the thermostat housing on the BP sticks way out in front of the engine. I swapped a B6 unit on that gained a couple inches. Not ideal either but good enough that the radiator fits (with the "lip" cut off). Went with a Protoge' front sump oil pan and hopefully a MadDat SR swaybar will work. Used an in tank pump setup from Tanks Inc as it was one of the few kits that fit the shallow 1200 tank.

Thanks for all of the info datsunrides. I know what you mean about lack of free time, that will be my issue as well. I just got rid of another project car and am considering selling my MR2 just to focus on one thing with the limited time I have now.

For the tank I am considering just buying a Miata tank and putting the whole stock system in, but I haven't looked at what is possible back there. Did you consider it and keeping the 1200 tank just made more sense?

Dark picture...but forgot to post the interior shot:

UkB2d5P.jpg

Thanks for all of the info datsunrides. I know what you mean about lack of free time, that will be my issue as well. I just got rid of another project car and am considering selling my MR2 just to focus on one thing with the limited time I have now.

For the tank I am considering just buying a Miata tank and putting the whole stock system in, but I haven't looked at what is possible back there. Did you consider it and keeping the 1200 tank just made more sense?

Did not really consider it. I would think it could be done if you are willing to cut up the back floor. I did not want to. I ran new 3/8" Aluminum fuel line and used the stock fuel line as the return.

Ca18det fit these nice .

Yes they do. In my case, I went the Miata route simply because I got a whole running/driving car for 1k. Pulled the drivetrain and sold the shell for $650 so the engine/trans cost me $350. Can't really get a CA for that.

That isn't a bad idea either using the stock as a return.

Yeah I went Miata because I got a prepared build from a well known racer buddy for an amazing price. A used seized Nissan engine would've cost me twice as much....

Did not really consider it. I would think it could be done if you are willing to cut up the back floor. I did not want to. I ran new 3/8" Aluminum fuel line and used the stock fuel line as the return.

Yes they do. In my case, I went the Miata route simply because I got a whole running/driving car for 1k. Pulled the drivetrain and sold the shell for $650 so the engine/trans cost me $350. Can't really get a CA for that.

• 1 month later...