barNLove!

HOGIE

I used a MGB pan gasket on my J13. The lifter cover and intake/exhaust gaskets are also a direct fit along with other odds and ends.

A lot of stuff will interchange between the MGA and early MGB engines. Where you gotta be careful is in the threads and gears department. Nissan/Datsun built Austin cars under license throughout the 50's. They cloned a lot of the mechanicals and styling when they started exporting to the world in the late 50's. Many people guess our 320 to be a British creation till they see the Datsun tags or are told 'It's a Datsun'.

They also cloned American Crosleys and other cars over the years. Here are a couple of links that can soak up several hours of your free time, so be forewarned.

http://www.earlydatsun.com/

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/HERITAGE/index2.html

Nissan Heritage Collection

• Like 1
  • Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That flanged manifold is beautiful.

One trick I use on exhaust connections...Anti Seize. A thick coating at critical connection points is good at sealing small potential leaks. Since it is basically aluminum paste, when it gets hot, it cakes and becomes rather stout.

Want to coat your own exhaust manifold? Try coating it with Anti Seize. It really does work, but you'll cut your life short by at least five years if you're breathing in the fumes on initial fire up. You're probably in violation of many EPA laws too.

• Like 1

I used a MGB pan gasket on my J13. The lifter cover and intake/exhaust gaskets are also a direct fit along with other odds and ends.

There are three or four different performance oil pans available for MG's, some of them finned aluminum. I wonder if any of them would fit in these trucks.

• Like 1

The oil pans just might be interchangable. I'll send a mail to Andy in KS and ask. He's sorts a guru on Brit-Datsun xchange for the E & J series engines. He has half a dozen 320's and his brother is a Brit car nut. He lives about 30 miles from Victoria Motors in Lenexa KS. Has made a million trips there and knows parts-people. 

Here's a shot of my rocker cover. It's 60 MGA two-stud mount. Cover was about $80 and the chrome thumbscrews were bout $16. This is from VB. 

MG%20Rocker%20Cover%20Mod%20-%20Topside_

I added the tag and breather tube.

• Like 4

Should have posted 'Victoria British' as the name of the Brit car part supplier. One of the biggest in US besides Moss Motors. VB has a killer online catalog with exploded views. Check it out. 

Hit the 'Shop Now' button then pick a model. MGA and early MGB should be closest to E & J stuff.

http://www.victoriabritish.com/

• Like 2

There are three or four different performance oil pans available for MG's, some of them finned aluminum. I wonder if any of them would fit in these trucks.

I communicated with Andy in KS and it seems that the Austin/Morris/MG pans would probably bolt up to the E & J engines, as 'datsunrides' posted re his use of a UK gasket. Just need to be sure that there's sufficient clearance for steering/exhaust/crosmembers/Etc. 

Steve

• Like 1

I figured they would bolt to the motor, but would they clear the front suspension crossmember?

Maybe when I buy another 320, I'll try it. (secretly been looking for another one.)

Treat yourself to an Christmas Present that just keeps on giving; every time your sittin' in it, don't even have to drive it to enjoy !!!

Merry christmas, All

Steve

• Like 3

Definitely factory. It will be out this summer at shows so you can come look for yourself ;)

So awesome!

I thought they were all red, white, green, blue -- as that's the only colors ive seen! so many red 320s.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

If you want to see it, but not necessarily rely upon it, you could bypass it internally. Connect the two ports inside with a piece of tubing and have the fuel go straight through it.

There's a write-up in one of the magazines I get about how to dress a modern (SBC) engine with vintage appearance and they did this. They also bypassed the mechanical fuel pump in a similar manner. Vintage looks without the hassle of vintage parts.

Here's the link, if you're interested - http://www.hotrod.com/articles/small-block-chevrolet-modern-motor-vintage-looks/

• Like 1

Try a tractor store for the fuel filter. If you were here in the north end of the Willamette Valley, I would suggest Clackamas Auto parts, in Oregon City.

This post is for the fuel filter element above.

Thanks Daniel,

I hadn't thought of that. There are plenty if tractor supply stores in the southern valley. I'll check it out.

• Like 2