barNLove!

HOGIE

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did find a thread on NicoClub written by mklotz70 that talks about J13 fuel pumps and swapping pump arms from stock pump to new 620 or J13 pump. I'll have to read it again

http://forums.nicoclub.com/l-series-fuel-pump-on-e1-t375572.html

That would be great to be able to do that.

I ran a low pressure electric fuel pump in the engine bay on my Datsun roadster for several years, it was the kind that vibrated all the time but didn't make noise, it worked fine, but I converted over to the U20 engine and removed it as the U20 had a good mechanical pump.

Mike has written a lot of articles about 320s, when I bought mine from him they all stopped as he didn't own a 320 anymore.

On a different note. My stepmom has a Morris Minor 1000 and I borrowed the engine hand crank and it's just a little to short to be able to grab it enough to really give it a good crank. Did turn it over a few times with it though. My dad told me he could use this as a model to make me one though. Sweet

image_zpscd00iknn.jpg

image_zpszrhqnrks.jpg

image_zps3c0a67gy.jpg

Edit:

Here's the Morris for the pic whores

image_zpsuzbvvjl6.jpg

• Like 3

OK, I would never try to start my engine with that crank, since are engines are advanced in timing, I would be afraid that it would kick back and hurt me.

The model "T" had a start timing position, and a run timing position to keep that from happening, these trucks have starters.

So you've never tried to hand crank you trucks? Or are you saying you just wouldn't use the one I have?

Check out this video. Seems easy. His rod is longer than your. Seems like he can hold onto it between the bumper before the bend.

https://youtu.be/upF7M_xvar0

• Like 1

So you've never tried to hand crank you trucks? Or are you saying you just wouldn't use the one I have?

Check out this video. Seems easy. His rod is longer than your. Seems like he can hold onto it between the bumper before the bend.

I have used it to crank the U320 engine over as that engine had not been run in years and I wanted to make sure it was loose, but I didn't try to start it with it, I would be afraid of getting hurt from a kick back.

So that guy is braver than I am, the way the lever is made makes me think it likely will not kick back but kick out, but I will just use the starter myself.

I believe that I have an original hand crank as it fits in the holder made for it, but I don't know it for sure.

DSCN2422_zpsmok0s4jw.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah I've used the hand crank to turn my engine to make sure it wasn't seized, but I probably wouldn't use it to start the engine. 

On the fuel pumps: 

A stock mechanical J13 fuel pump will swap onto the E-series engine without modification.  That was a much more useful piece of information back when J13 fuel pumps were very common, but these days they are pretty hard to find.  Swapping the arm off my original pump onto a newer, more common pump, such as the L-series pump (which again are starting to become less common now anyway) was not possible for me.  The pin that mounts the arm onto the pump was shot-peened into the pump housing.  There are two little steel balls that are too large to press out on either side of the pin.  My machine shop was unable to extract the pin without breaking the fuel pump body. 

My truck came with a J13 Nikki fuel pump installed , and I was able to rebuild it using the internals (basically the identical top half) from a new Datsun F10 fuel pump I found on ebay that had a different arm on it.  I think your best bet is to get a rebuild kit for your original fuel pump or try to locate a J13 pump and swap it on.  You may need to do some trial and error.  Parts from Nikki pumps are more likely to fit other Nikki pumps and the same is true of the Kyosans, so if you do some trial and error make sure you are buying a donor pump that is the same make as yours is. 

Good luck! 

• Like 1

I've cranked mine a few times - but make sure you have the saw tooth pulley! Often over the years  as the part is replaced, people just slot the front for the crank. If it kicks back you're getting a broken femur or arm. Heaven forbid it hits you in the head...

The right pulley has two 'saw' teeth. If it back fires the pulley forces the crank away with the sloped side of the tooth. If that makes sense...

• Like 1