Need a transmission for sd22

rockdog

Haven't been on here for awhile.....I haven't had any problems with my truck at all....but about 3 weeks ago my transmission started to hawl in 1 2 3 gears....4 and 5 don't make much noise yet... I already checked and changed the gear oil and all that....it wasn't low before I changed it......its my daily driver ...so I think I need a good used transmission.........any one got one in the area of Portland Oregon?????? Any help would be much appreciated.....

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll have to start a want add here in the classifieds... http://community.ratsun.net/classifieds/category/5-drivetrain/?sort_key=date_added&sort_order=desc ... buying and selling is not allowed on our forums to keep them clear for information sharing and discussions.

Probably the counter bearing. They can be as cheap as $12 but I would spend a bit more. Easy enough to get at and change too. Once transmission is out you need a 12 mm wrench and a pair of snap ring pliers to get the front case off. The gear is easy enough to use a gear puller on and just hammer the new one on with a piece of pipe.

The Nissan part number is 32219-E9000. About $20. Its 56mm diameter not the newer 62mm.

You need to quit driving it, them diesel front cases are hard to come by.

What can happen if you keep driving it is that a bearing can come out of the race, get between the two front gears and destroy the cluster gear shaft since the front bearing is bad it will move farther sideways because the bearings are not held evenly spaced apart, this can break the cluster gear shaft back at 5th/rev gear, I know because I just had to drive the truck home.

Does it make noise when the engine is idling in neutral?

Does it quit making noise when you push in the clutch and put it in any gear?

If it does quit making noise, and I am assuming that you have not had a cab jarring event, so drop the transmission, and take it apart as mike described, I just use a couple small screwdrivers to remove the snap ring, I wrote a how too on how to take the front case apart to make a short shaft 5 speed, it is the same thing.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/28473-how-to-put-together-a-shortshaft-5-speed-for-a-l20b/

You need to fix this, as if you destroy the front diesel case, you are going to have a problem, you may get lucky, but most the time no one will respond to a diesel transmission wanted on any site, let alone this site.

Nope ....no noise.....I take it out of gear at lights and clutch out also.....no throw out bearing wear sitting at lights......only noise is going through the gears 1 2 3 .... a hum that gets louder the faster you go... the more rpm you turn the louder it gets.....no grinding noises ....no clunks ....goes right in to gear just like normal....just louder as you get up to speed to shift to the next gear......goes away when you shift into 4th and 5th gear......

OK, what I was trying to get at was when you have the clutch pushed in, and the transmission in gear, the input shaft is not turning, but when you put it in neutral and let the clutch out, the input and cluster gear shaft are turning, I was not asking about throw out bearing noise, as that should only happen when you put your foot on the clutch pedal. unless the pedal is adjusted wrong.

So if it is not the driveline(did you check to make sure all the nuts are tight?), and if it is not the transmission, and it gets louder the faster you go, then check the rear end, take the fill plug out and stick your finger in the hole, can you feel any fluid?, what color is the fluid?