Photo
- - - - -

Any clever ideas on charcoal canister / fuel vent for EFI conversion?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tdskip

tdskip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:38 PM

Hi - hope everyone is having a good week. Is there any conventional wisdom on the best vent capture approach on the fuel vent on an EFI conversion? Any specific check valve that people like or off-the-shelf charcoal canister to absorb the fumes?

Thanks!

#2 Stoffregen Motorsports

Stoffregen Motorsports

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts
  • Cars:http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/rover/0611_4wd_1957_range_rover/viewall.html

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:52 AM

I like to use the canister that came with the engine. What motor is it? What did it come out of?

#3 tdskip

tdskip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:35 AM

Good morning, thanks for the note. This is a S14 JDM car, so the original set up is not available to me. It is going into a late 60's car so I need to create my set up (specifically a Triumph TR4a, very similar to a Roadster).

Thanks!

#4 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 69,395 posts
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:56 AM

The canister only 'absorbs' fumes vented from the fuel tank I think. Does the TR4 even have a vented tank?

Usually there may be a vent line from the carb but this engine won't have that.

I'm not sure if there is a reason to have one, but if there is a tank vent line, any canister from any make of vehicle will work if it has...

A purge line.... just a vacuum line from the intake to signal the engine is running and to open the canister to empty it

A vacuum line from near the throttle so the fumes are thoroughly mixed with the incoming air

A tank vent connection.

This sould be enough.

Posted Image

#5 tdskip

tdskip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 06:14 AM

Thanks Mike. The TR4a did not, but TR6 did. Not uncommon for an earlier car to fumigate the garage which I am looking to avoid and make sure the tank flows fuel properly.

#6 DanielC

DanielC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:42 AM

Copy the TR6 system.  Use parts from a junk yard.

Copy some other mid 1970's car.   They are pretty simple.  Go to a much later car, and you could run into a lot of sensors, and make the system a lot more complicated.

The system used on a Datsun 521 just consisted of a tank above the gas tank, that separated fuel vapors from the liquid.  The liquid drained back into the gas tank.  There is a valve in the engine compartment, that allows air from the air cleaner to get into the tank, but any pressure in the tank is vented into the engine crankcase.  When the engine is running, the PCV system purges the engine crankcase.  A Datsun 521 with evaporative emission control does not have a charcoal cannister.

#7 Stoffregen Motorsports

Stoffregen Motorsports

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts
  • Cars:http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/rover/0611_4wd_1957_range_rover/viewall.html

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:36 AM

My '57 Land Rover with Toyota 22RE has the fuel vent line teed into the PCV system. There is a check valve, but it does not work flawlessly. On steep inclines with a full tank, it tends to flood over into the intake and sputter. I could use some sort of vapor canister in between.

For a street driven car, that doesn't see heavy offroad use, this setup would work fine.

#8 tdskip

tdskip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 06:27 AM

Thanks guys, appreciate the coaching!

#9 hosestop@msn.com

hosestop@msn.com

Hall Monitor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • Cars:510 blk 4drsr,65fairlady510 wag24de521na,56delivy56 Ford truck,

Posted 30 October 2016 - 12:17 PM

G20 at Junk yard in trunk.

#10 bob3d

bob3d

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Cars:78 B210

Posted 01 December 2016 - 06:34 AM

I cut the bottom off with a hacksaw . Refilled with activated charcoal from wallmart and glued bottom back on. By the way the round cap on top has a diaphragm. The cap will pop off . My diaphragm had a small hole, small dab of liquid rubber fixed it.