427 Corvette engine in '73 620?.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I removed the 427 / LS7 with my own hands from a 2007 C6 Corvette Z06 that dynoed at 590RWHP.

The plugs were checked and cut the oil filter before I forked over my hard earned money.

Love it one of the best engines chevy made. I just got rid of my 2015 Z28 that had the LS7 from the Z06. I can't wait to see this.

• Like 1

1973 comes with a get out of jail free pass

A stock '73 isn't tested but it has to have all the emissions stuff there. Naturally there are no checks but if you fall afoul of the law they may check and pull you off the road. Unlikely though it may be. It's a federal offense to delete, alter or modify the stock emissions equipment of any year vehicle. They rely on the state to enforce this.... right.

If you replace the engine, by law it has to be the same year identical.... or newer. It has to be inspected by an official that it has all the emissions devices on it, and it is subject to emissions testing for the year of the engine. Again, you can swap and just hope you never get stopped by a pissed off cop. You may be able to bluff that it is indeed a '73 and exempt from emissions testing and hope he doesn't care or know what a V8 sounds like and look under the hood. Roll the dice.

• Like 1

A stock '73 isn't tested but it has to have all the emissions stuff there. Naturally there are no checks but if you fall afoul of the law they may check and pull you off the road. Unlikely though it may be. It's a federal offense to delete, alter or modify the stock emissions equipment of any year vehicle. They rely on the state to enforce this.... right.

If you replace the engine, by law it has to be the same year identical.... or newer. It has to be inspected by an official that it has all the emissions devices on it, and it is subject to emissions testing for the year of the engine. Again, you can swap and just hope you never get stopped by a pissed off cop. You may be able to bluff that it is indeed a '73 and exempt from emissions testing and hope he doesn't care or know what a V8 sounds like and look under the hood. Roll the dice.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 3

So stop posturing and post something about a Datsun 620. It would be nice to see a V8 swap that was actually finished.

Agreed with fast 720. Do your thing and rock it!!! I'm excited for it.

Wow ..............haters are going to hate

Well I like to keep my build all Nissan but that doesn't always workout .

I am also fond of the LS series , the new all aluminum ones are putting out 500 + HP and almost equal numbers in torque , and that's all day long , the one thing about the push rod little piglets is they are very narrow compared to the twin overhead cam Japanese V8's so they make a good swap motor for small car bodies .

Just my 2 cents ................If I had the cake I would put one in something for sure.

Cheers and good luck with your project so far so good .

Don't let that one guy discourage you from posting here ... I think it's an awesome idea

if you don't shorten the Caprice chassis, you could use a 620 king cab and a 620 long bed (but shorten the bed wheelbase by 2.5") .. the only problem is width. Is the Caprice really 77" wide? That's like 17" wider than a stock 620.

Looks interesting get it done.

Looking forward to seeing this!

Love it one of the best engines chevy made. I just got rid of my 2105 Z28 that had the LS7 from the Z06. I can't wait to see this.

Do we have more interest in this than you? Seems that way.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/69757-tunedbytad-ls7-427-73-620/

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/70694-dead/

Maybe third time lucky? .... https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/fait_accompli

• Like 1

This is sad, here is a former member that started a conversion thread that would likely have been completed, but not many had much good to say about it.

So the donor chassis was too wide, but instead of offering positive suggestions of a way to fix it, or letting the member tell us how he was going to fix it he was only given negative feedback, I would have just widened the cab/box myself like that guy did in Europe to that MGB, it would have helped a lot of ways with this build especially in the engine compartment.

It was obvious to me that this build was not this former members first rodeo, he was talking about stuff that Bob3 talked about when the MX520 was created, but I guess none of us will ever read about this build on this forum anymore, as this project is DEAD here.

• Like 3

Read posts 4, 5, 9, 16, 17, 20, 23 and 31. All positive in spite of a V8 not fitting a 620. Pointing out what won't work is identifying a problem that needs addressing. Cutting a 620 lengthwise and widening... is a sin. It's not an engine swap at all, and no longer a 620 either. Maybe 620 cab/box on an S-10 frame?

I suggested doing it, then posting the finished running build.

There's no deodorant like success........... Liz Taylor

• Like 2

Walter-White-Youre-Goddamn-Right.jpg

But maybe not so much on this thread....

So stop posturing and post something about a Datsun 620. It would be nice to see a V8 swap that was actually finished.

(note the above post is positive and not in sarcastic font)

the-blues-brothers-2.jpg

OK, I can see that.

I think the emission sticker for the 620 was 2,500 pounds. Later ones were 2,700. The L16 was 260 pounds.

This will now have to pass the 2007 Corvette emissions.

... at this point the OP has erased everything and the thread starts siding downward toward an Insomniac's style posting.