SR20DE with Subaru Justy alternator wiring question

tdskip

OK - so now that I have the JDM S14 SR20DE installed and the Wiring Specialties harness in I need to start buttoning things up. I have a tech support email into them but was wondering if anyone else is using a Subaru Justy alternator for space saving purposes, and if so how they wired that up? The harness is expecting a different alternator set up and I am not sure how to pair the two.

Any been there / done that coaching to pass along?

Thanks!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two versions of the Subaru Justy alternator-- the 1985 version has a T-plug, and the 1986-1995 version has the same oval plug that Nissan uses. It does not matter if you use the Carb'd or EFI version of the alternator, they both put out 55amps and have the same plug.

The plug on the back should look like this:

s-l500.jpg

I suspect that your alternator is a 1985 version if it does not plug into the Wiring Specialities wiring harness.

Michael

• Like 1

Either way, there should just be the sense wire and the lamp wire.  Lamp goes to your dash charge lamp, and sense goes to a +12v source, preferably one that travels through the harness and not a short, straight shot to the battery, so that it can have a larger voltage drop and put out an appropriate voltage to charge the battery.

• Like 1

I would seriously consider replacing that alternator and using a later model one with the oval plug.  We have had customers use the early version and have had them complain that the plug can fall out of the alternator when driving.  The later model connector (ie. Nissan style) is 100% positive and won't fall out.

As for the SR-series clutch:  Yes, the S14/S15 RWD SR20DE engines use a smaller diameter clutch that is not easy to find in the USA.  Most times we just recommend changing to the SR20DET flywheel and clutch as they are easily found and there are no end of clutch choices to suit your budget and driving style.  It bolts up the same, and the stock starter works as well. Done deal.

Michael