1978 a10 condenser

trout104

The problem I'm having is, on our 78 A10 wagon.We have condenser mounted on the alternator. I have searched and searched but I cannot find a part number for this condenser anywhere. Being a 78 it has a remote igniter dizzy. This condenser is not shown in any of the books I have, also looked at rockauto. Could someone help with this, other than that our rebuild is going good and should be on the road by spring.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I plan on changing the old ignition module out for a hei. Does this change anything else. I guess being a 78, they only did this for 1 year. I would like a good manual for this as I'm passing down to my son. Any help would be great. We do have pics here under his first ride

All '78s and only earlier California engines had the remote igniter ignition. '79- '80 vehicles were all 'matchbox' type.

The GM HEI isn't an electrical upgrade but it does remove that remote box from inside the vehicle and looks cooler.

• Like 1

The original remote igniter isn't really a module it's a box the size of your hand, likely mounted up under the dash. Wiring for it by the distributor and coil can just be disconnected.

HEI.jpg

You need the two bottom connections. Join the ON with ignition key and ON when key turned to START to coil positive and B terminal on the HEI. As shown...

If you have a tach option it connects to the coil negative terminal or C on the HEI.

I was out today looking at a 72 620 today and it had a L18 in it with a A87 head on it. What's the chance if it being closed chambered. I thought the 72 came with L16. Being in Canada did that change anything with the USDM. Or was that a north American thing. I can pull it, but thought I would ask the guru's here their opinions first,as I have learnt more here than words can say...thanx in advance

If it's a '73 (late half year '72s were considered '73s) you have to realize that it's 44 years old by now and in that time a lot can happen like a failed engine that can easily and cheaply be swapped to keep it going. L18s were almost exclusively used on '74 model year cars and trucks. There should be an engine tag over on the inner fender by the coil. The engine size should say 1594cc (1.6 liters) Only the '74 620 came with the L18 (1769cc) The build tag is on the drivers door jam near the striker and will have the build month and year on it. If someone told you it was a '72 maybe they are wrong.

Some will swear that their L18 engine is original and untouched and came with a closed chamber head. I can find no reference part numbers to support this. No way would Nissan randomly send over L18s with two different compression ratios with one 8.4 and the other 9 !!! The emissions would be through the roof and a violation of the emissions sticker. An easy explanation is that these closed chamber heads were cheaper to import from Japan in the '80s that rebuilding or doing a valve job on and they are randomly found on L18 and L20B engines. 

There is no way to tell from the outside which is which short of a laparoscope through the plug hole. Very unlikely it's closed.

It's a 72, the tag on fender and door match 01/72. The engine is a L18 says so on block, and A87 on the head. I thought I read somewhere on here that they shipped boatloads of used jpdm L18 over with closed chambered heads as replacement engines. We have a 73 620 with the L16 and a A87 head but it is an open head.Im not looking at replacing it, just looking for a closed chambered one for a future build.

Here in southern Alberta there are very few Datsuns period. So when you see one, you try to get the most from them. What ever good part has probably been snapped up by now,but occasionally you find something good.Todsy a radiator for his A10 goon, and a new glovebox.tomorrow hopefully a closed chambered head....lol

It's a 72, the tag on fender and door match 01/72. The engine is a L18 says so on block, and A87 on the head. I thought I read somewhere on here that they shipped boatloads of used jpdm L18 over with closed chambered heads as replacement engines. We have a 73 620 with the L16 and a A87 head but it is an open head.Im not looking at replacing it, just looking for a closed chambered one for a future build.

The engine tag will say L16.... so engine was swapped.

Post 9 mentions the buying of good used JDM parts as cheaper than re-building the originals. Did you read it?

An L16 with an open chamber head is a big no no. The open chamber head drops the compression to 7.72. Only the original 210 head works properly on an L16. Even a closed chamber head only gets it to 8.21

An L18 with open chamber head has 8.4 compression.

An L18 with closed chamber head is 8.9 compression

If a L16 with A87 is a no no. How did they get away with on our 620. It's totally original. I bought off of original owner. I've had it since 95 and it has never been touched. Did they put flattops in, or is the compression that low.I know of several like this.

Not saying it won't run. It will run, but the compression will be very low and inefficient.

So that's '73-'95 or 23 years when something may have gone wrong and been 'touched' (swapped). Original Owners gloss over things like this... "Yeah she runs like a champ, never been worked on" They omit/forgot that back in '79 the head needed work and unknown to him the mechanic friend/neighbor/relative simply threw another L head on that was handy... "They're all the same right?" to get it going for his customer.

The L16 runs a 210 head that has a small combustion chamber of about 38cc. All letter heads, A-87, U-67 and W58 are open.... 45.2cc or if imported and closed.... 41cc. Larger combustion chambers = lower compression.

Out of curiosity look at the front of the head close to the timing cover near the distributor. Any numbers there? Like 219????

I've checked several times, hoping to see 219, but to no avail..I remember you having a conversation with datsunahloic, he has the same setup as I do. I'm going out today and rip the head off and check it out.ill get back to u when I get it off. fingers crossed....lol I get the parts free so I'm only out my time.

An L16 should have a 7.02cc piston dish. Combined with a head gasket thickness of 1.2mm and 83mm bore this is a space of 6.48cc. The piston rises above the deck by 0.1mm so remove 0.54cc volume. The combustion chamber of a 210 head is 38cc. So... total combustion chamber volume is 7.02cc + 6.48cc + 38.5cc (210 head)  = 52cc - 0.54cc (over deck height) =  51.46cc 

The swept volume of the L16 cylinder 83mm X 73.7mm is 395.5cc

1Thus... 398.5 + 51.46 = 449.96 / 51.46 = 8.74 (didn't think it was this high but again, this was when leaded gas was available and 10.5 to one muscle cars were around '68-'71)

Substitute a closed chamber A-87 head of 41cc ..... and 7.02cc + 6.48cc + 41cc (closed chamber head)  = 54.5cc  - 0.54cc (over deck height)  =  53.96cc

2Thus... 398.5 + 53.96 = 452.46 / 53.96 = 8.38 (this will work better than I thought specially with today's gas but still a little low) I may have to reverse my stand on this now. 8.38 is not impossibly low and by the early 70s compressions were dropping. Later L20Bs were 8.4

Substitute a open chamber A-87 head of 45.cc ..... and 7.02cc + 6.48cc + 45.2cc (open chamber head)  = 58.7cc  - 0.54cc (over deck height)  =  58.16cc

3Thus... 398.5 + 58.16 = 456.66 / 58.16 = 7.85  (this is way too low so open chamber head is out)

L18 should have a 9.34cc dished piston but also larger displacement so a larger combustion chamber is ok.

The wind is blowing 100km today, so head removal out. But I did talk to owner,he wants $100 for it,but I don't know if I can get it out. it's in the middle of a bunch of crap. Might have to piece it out. No 219 on the front but a87 on side. Oil look OK, parked because of clutch. No hood for 5 years. Wondering if it's worth the effort, everything else is rough.

On another subject..how do I post pictures, my search doesn't work properly. Thnx