85 720 alternator swap, new alternator has a different plug.

brasssmunkye

Hey guys, got my 85 720 here, and i think my alternator went out, so i got a ride into town this morning and picked up a new one, i just went to swap the new one in, and i noticed the plug is a bit different. the original alternator has a "t plug" shape ( | -- ) and the new one has both prongs parallel ( | | )

TpR0S8H.jpg

other than that bit, the new alternator seems like it should work just fine in place of the old one. so i was wondering if it would be a good idea to maybe cut the wires on the plug in the truck, and wire them to the plug extension on the new alternator (i removed it, but it's visible in the bottom of the box for the new alternator in the pic) and if this is an okay idea, which wire is which. i would like to get this going ASAP, so any speedy replies are very appreciated. hopefully i can get into town soon and get a little work in before the day is over.

thanks guys!

EDIT:

looks like the plug in the new alternator is the one that is for a 2.4l, while mine is the plug that is featured on the 2.0l, but they both run the same amperage. I am pretty sure my truck is a 2.4l

also, got some help elsewhere on the internet, and found out which connector is for sense and which is for lamp, spliced up the new connector in there, but when i went to install everything, i realized the BAT connector was originally for a 8mm bolt, and the new one is 10mm, so i need to figure something else out. maybe the local hardware store will have something.

• Like 1
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to junkyard and get yourself a pug off pretty much any Nissan made after 88 ( might be earlier but later models would be MUCH more plentiful)  solder the sum-bitch onto your existing wires ,,, boom..

NAPA and such might have them, but you would probably have to order it

• Like 1

Stop. Do not throw away the old one!!!!!!

Trouble shoot the problem. If the alternator is good and a $0.75 fuse is blown, do you think that'$75 POS rebuilt thing is better that the original???? New from the dealer they are $375.

Did the red charge light come on?

Have your alternator tested under load. Most auto supply stores will do this for free.

Usually the only thing that wore out on these were the brushes. You used to be able to buy new brushes for $8

• Like 1

Go to junkyard and get yourself a pug off pretty much any Nissan made after 88 ( might be earlier but later models would be MUCH more plentiful)  solder the sum-bitch onto your existing wires ,,, boom..

NAPA and such might have them, but you would probably have to order it

I live about 40 minutes away from town, and really wanted to try and get this going so i could get some work done today (ended up finishing a bit late due to the plug issue, so not going to work today, but now i'm ready for tomorrow morning) otherwise i would have tried to see if i could just get an alternator with the proper plug from the auto parts store (apparently, it's the one listed for the 85 720 with the z20 engine)

Stop. Do not throw away the old one!!!!!!

Trouble shoot the problem. If the alternator is good and a $0.75 fuse is blown, do you think that'$75 POS rebuilt thing is better that the original???? New from the dealer they are $375.

Did the red charge light come on?

Have your alternator tested under load. Most auto supply stores will do this for free.

Usually the only thing that wore out on these were the brushes. You used to be able to buy new brushes for $8

that would be nice, i would always prefer to just have it rebuilt or something, but i needed this truck to be running ASAP, it's currently my only transportation, so i just went with the quick swap. it was the OE alternator in there originally, but i already cut the cable on the extension supplied with the new one so i could wire that plug into the truck to use the new alternator, and installed it, so i doubt they'd take it back, so new one it is.

thank you guys for your input, i came here first because i respect all the knowledge everybody has here, but i ended up getting help from somebody on reddit and got the new one working just fine.

had to splice the wires from the old plug to the new one, and also had to get a new O terminal connector for the battery connection from the hardware store, but i got it working!

x6xJhyMh.jpg

• Like 1

Two side by side I I terminals is likely the next gen D-21 Hardbody alternator for Z24i or KA engine. Is it one of those water proof connectors used on all the new cars?

well, i guess they were also used for the 85 720, but sometimes they would have the older style one depending on date of manufacture or something, one of those inconsistent things haha.

I sell 720 alternators with both connections. Often they come with a short adapter from one connection to the other.

i saw that some have that now, but the one i got didn't have it, but it had an extension, i used that to replace the old plug with the new one, so now if i needed to do this again, i will just always have the newer plug there. also had to change one of the O terminal connectors to a bigger size, so everything should be good for the new style always.

• Like 1

I sell 720 alternators with both connections. Often they come with a short adapter from one connection to the other.

well, i guess they were also used for the 85 720, but sometimes they would have the older style one depending on date of manufacture or something, one of those inconsistent things haha.

This isn't an Hitachi alternator for a 720. In fact it isn't even made by Hitachi but a knock off from China. It may work with an adapter but it's for the next gen '86.5 and on and easier for the Chinese maker to just use one for both and supply a plug. You get what you pay for.

Same with carb rebuild kits that have extra parts left over that don't go on the carb you are rebuilding. They call them 'Universal Kits' 

Don't throw the old Hitachi away, probably just needs $8 worth of new brushes.