350 in a 620

pandabear56

One of these days I'd like to put an l20 in a full size chevy pickup, then take it to a show. No doubt I'd get a ton of shit from bowtie fanboys. They're fine with ruining good car/trucks with sbc bullshit, but can't fucking stand the reverse. Case in point: the Tokyo drift mustang. American iron fanboys hate that car and do nothing but shit talk it. Honestly, its the best blend of classic and new out there in my opinion. Discard large, heavy boat anchor engine and replace with more powerful lighter engine, gain performance and handling at the same time. Win win.

• Like 3
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of these days I'd like to put an l20 in a full size chevy pickup, then take it to a show. No doubt I'd get a ton of shit from bowtie fanboys. They're fine with ruining good car/trucks with sbc bullshit, but can't fucking stand the reverse. Case in point: the Tokyo drift mustang. American iron fanboys hate that car and do nothing but shit talk it. Honestly, its the best blend of classic and new out there in my opinion. Discard large, heavy boat anchor engine and replace with more powerful lighter engine, gain performance and handling at the same time. Win win.

Actually they used an rb26det for that car which is in no way lighter than a 289 v8, a lot more horsepower though

• Like 1

No shit? I didn't know that was an rb...oh, wait, it was plainly obvious. Recheck your info though. Rb26dett without the front diff is Well under 400lbs, a 289 iron block, heads, two iron exhaust manifolds is over 400lbs. That rb in the mustang had one turbo, stainless manifold, rb25 trans...easily less weight than a stock rb.

• Like 1

I'd love to see an L20b in a full size Chevy, post some pics, you should put one in a bulldozer also, makes about as much sense

Just as much sense as the cut up a perfectly good car and shove a ls in mentality, at least an L in a Chevy wouldn't completely ruin it for future use.

• Like 1

You do what your going to do, don't listen to these guys, as they are going to try and bring you down, look what they did to the author of this thread, they ran him off.

I have seen photos of lots of Chevy small blocks in 521s, 620s and 720s, sure they had to either modify the firewall or put the radiator in the box behind the cab, but they didn't complain about the handling of the vehicle, not one of them ever complained about the handling that I can recall.

And I again refer back to this statement above!!!

I had a 1965 Chevy Nova, it had a built Chevy 350 block in it, that engine had to have had at least a 12 to 1 compression ratio, if I let off the gas pedal in first or second gear the back tires would bark from just the compression, in the rain the back wheels would just stop turning and turn idle speed(car was dangerous to drive in the rain unless you knew how to drive it), this engine was so powerful that I could put the front bumper against a wall, run the rpms up to 1200/1300rpms and let out the clutch, get the rear wheels spinning, let off the gas pedal and get out of the car, and we could all watch the rear wheels spin at an idle with no one in the car, that was way too much engine for that car.

It was the funnest car I have ever owned, it only had front brakes as one time I must have hit the gas pedal to hard and the engine shifted and pinched the rear brake line between the header and the frame, I just deleted the rear brakes, it made it easier to hold the car in one place while burning out(win/win).

This car drove great in a straight line, not so good on mountain roads, it was alright on curves, but I wasn't going to go very fast on them as I could have broke the back tires loose and put the car in the ditch so easily, so it was my fun car, to bad the engine destroyed the car, it was only a couple years before the whole cab started flexing, the doors were creaking, the wipers would come on all by themselves and I could not shut them off because they were already off, but I figured out that if I hit another gear hard they would usually turn off.

To change some of the spark plugs I had to get a socket with a 6 point end, put the socket on the plug by prying the engine over an eighth inch, then using a wrench just loosen the spark plug, then remove the socket and then turn the spark plug with the tips of my fingers till it fell out onto the ground, then reverse to install said spark plug.

As I said, IT WAS THE FUNNEST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED, my sister only rode with me once ever, all she said was it would be nicer if I could shift smoother, I never did get that good at shifting smoothly, the car just jerked around even when driving at an even rpm, my car reminded me of the old steam locomotives on how they started out moving, when they started out the wheels spun, so did my cars wheels.

• Like 3

Some people do things just because they want to. It's their money and time. As long as it doesn't affect me, all I have to say is "Have at it!"

Not everything needs to be logical. Heck, my 620 purchase was not logical whatsoever. The truck serves no real function or benefit other than a time and money suck. But that's ok. 

I appreciate all custom work people do to their rides, even if I don't particularly agree to it for my interests. But it's certainly not my place to criticize their desires. Others do. 

Totally agree, but... the guy did ask for opinions. Asking for an opinion on any forum is just opening the door for the peanut gallery.

I think it could be a nice truck with a 350. Better yet, an LS.

• Like 1

Totally agree, but... the guy did ask for opinions. Asking for an opinion on any forum is just opening the door for the peanut gallery.

I think it could be a nice truck with a 350. Better yet, an LS.

I have an lm7 with auto trans, only major issue would be the exhaust system, I'm sure everyone will have to google lm7 now.

Love to see some pics of that Delahaye.

Me too, I don't own one, my grandfather had one shortly after the war, I've always wanted to find it, I found one in absolutely horrible condition, falling apart in an old farmyard about 100 miles from me, thought about getting it for yard art. The guy wouldn't sell it because it was in his family for 50 years. Still looking I guess.

Here's a video of a Chevy V8 in  72-327's  620.  Looks like it drives just fine.  I'm sure there are others on Ratsun too.  Reach out to them or search their build threads for info.

Goes really well.... in a straight line.

You will burn in hell if you put a v8 in a 620!...............but this is ok.

This picture is really a body swap. It is no longer a Z car.