4x4 Datsun 720

Stock tires are 215/75R15 and 27.7" tall. 29-30" tall tires are about it on stock 4x4 ride height with minimal rubbing. Don't forget that the taller the tire the lower your overall crawl ratio will be.

215/75R15 tires replaced by 30" tires will be the same as removing your 4.375 differentials and replacing them with 4.0 ratio. Larger tires kill crawling speeds. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote put bigger tires on it and just cut the fenders.  I had 30x9.50s on my 720 and they worked just fine other than hitting the front cab floor pan on extreme squish.  Take the wheel off and sledgehammer up the floor pan, works decently.  The front IFS on 720s leaves much to be desired.  Better off swapping to a D21 4x4 system, or solid axle swap.

• 1 month later...

Stock tires are 215/75R15 and 27.7" tall. 29-30" tall tires are about it on stock 4x4 ride height with minimal rubbing. Don't forget that the taller the tire the lower your overall crawl ratio will be.

215/75R15 tires replaced by 30" tires will be the same as removing your 4.375 differentials and replacing them with 4.0 ratio. Larger tires kill crawling speeds. 

Sorry for the long reply life got in the way. Anyways, I have 31 BF Goodrich All Terrain TAs. And my goal isnt to make a full out crawler, rather a truck ready for anything. So far this truck has been in places I didn't think it could handle but pushed on through no problem....

And to the person who said to put money into the carb and engine...It is a brand new block, brand new carb, and a tranny with not that many miles on it. I mainly just want a lift to fit bigger tires, but I would prefer a suspension lift so I would have better travel.