4x4 Datsun 720

Hello I am a new member just officially joined maybe two weeks ago. I am 17 and my dad handed me down his 1981 datsun 720 last christmas. I got the beast running and am redoing the cooling and exhaust systems. (just dropped the gas tank and did a fuel system cleanse) My truck is the 4x4 edition with a z22 hemi. I am looking for a lift kit so I can run a little bit bigger tires. I Believe my rim size in 15x7 with 30something tires.(bf goodrich TAs...my favorite tires aside from micky T's) If anyone knows where to get a lift kit or has any ideas for my project it would be highly appreciated. 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If all you're wanting is bigger tires I'd suggest a body lift. It can get pricy doing a suspension lift on an IFS, most people that suspension lift just go solid axle but that's a LOT of fab work. Body lift can be had for fairly cheap or even homemade easily. I've even seen someone use wood, not that I'd ever suggest it, but it worked.

Thanks for the pics!, what's the story with the dime????

Father bought it 1-4 years after graduating highschool brand new. Took it everywhere, trails, beach, you name it. Engine took a shit, so he got another one with a new carb. In 1997-1999 somewhere around there the tranny took a dump so he got one from pick-and-pull with super low miles and pristine condition. Then I was on the way and a 2-seater truck can't hold a family of 5 so he bought a brand new suburban. (1999 k1500 LT fully loaded but used) Since money doesn't grow on trees and he didn't have the time, he couldn't drive the truck so it sat in the front yard ever since. I worked on it for 2 days and got it to run now I'm redoing everything, making a custom front bumper, lifting it, custom exhaust, killer sound system, and maybe an external roll cage. All going to be done with my two hands. 

Oh and I have all of the plastics and such, I took the back flare off because I'm working on the tank area and starting body work

You're gonna lift, make custom front bumper and install an external roll cage onna dime???

WHY?!?!?!?!?!

He mentioned the truck twice in there, I don't think he was talking about the 510.

Front lift gives a maximum gain of around 3 inches at most. This requires modified upper control arms and re indexing your torsion bars. Then lift the rear to match. Some options include lift blocks, extended shackles, 2wd 720 springs, rearched leaf springs etc.

Also requires a front alignment.

I run this lift on my 720. I clear 31x10.5 throughout the entire suspension/turning movement of the tire.

yeah I'm talking about the truck. The 510 is a money pit, but it is tricked out...just old. It has the sss headers and new exhaust. My dad was setting it up for a turbo (before intercoolers came around) and he had race spec stuff. There was a Bay Area Datsun race team back in the day and my dad used to take his 510 there all the time and had everything they had, down to the steering wheel. When I get more money and finish my other projects I'll giver her some love. The truck is going into my name, my dad would give me the house before he gives me his 510 haha. But he definitley would let me share it with him. You'll see a post in the near future asking for tips on that baby  :thumbup:

I was, it was my only question that he replied to...

He mentioned the truck twice in there, I don't think he was talking about the 510.

Front lift gives a maximum gain of around 3 inches at most. This requires modified upper control arms and re indexing your torsion bars. Then lift the rear to match. Some options include lift blocks, extended shackles, 2wd 720 springs, rearched leaf springs etc.

Also requires a front alignment.

I run this lift on my 720. I clear 31x10.5 throughout the entire suspension/turning movement of the tire.

Could you post pics? And I'm pushing 30's I believe...except in the back right because that is a temporary story. It's a long/funny story about why I have that on their.

• Like 1

If all you're wanting is bigger tires I'd suggest a body lift. It can get pricy doing a suspension lift on an IFS, most people that suspension lift just go solid axle but that's a LOT of fab work. Body lift can be had for fairly cheap or even homemade easily. I've even seen someone use wood, not that I'd ever suggest it, but it worked.

There are so many different ways of lifting. I would like to just do a body lift along with spring spaces and I heard I might have do something with the leaf springs. Never have done a lift like this before. I can probably do 3in spring spacers and whatever I can do with the body.

Those are 15x10, with a terrible offset. I will likely switch back to my Isuzu rims, which are 15x8.

Only pic I can find of those rims.

IMG_20130426_222648_zpscapngtvr.jpg

Here's the clearance I had on my 31x10.5 before the lift. They rubbed pretty hard on the body on turns that hit bumps.

IMG_20130426_192731_zpsd2p54bea.jpg

Here's the clearance after.

IMG_20130429_132957_zpsnziv2gg8.jpg

I used aftermarket lift control arms and extended rear shackles on mine. I'm quite sure I need to shim the axle to bring my u joint angles back in to spec, but I've not done that.

IMG_20130426_195224_zps05iftdc4.jpg

IMG_20130426_184353_zpseacpfmww.jpg

With shackles, 2 inches of length equals 1 inch of lift. Just FYI.

IMG_20130426_184438_zpsuylzyhxd.jpg

IMG_20130426_190123_zpsdhtinvyx.jpg

yeah, we have the same size rims mine are 15x9.5 or 15x10. I have perfect clearance but I just want my truck to stand a little bit taller. I would love to get some dual chamber shocks, but that will be a little later on. Although I am making a skid plate for her, or even maybe a prerunner bumper with a bullbar.

Those are 15x10, with a terrible offset. I will likely switch back to my Isuzu rims, which are 15x8.

Only pic I can find of those rims.

IMG_20130426_222648_zpscapngtvr.jpg

Here's the clearance I had on my 31x10.5 before the lift. They rubbed pretty hard on the body on turns that hit bumps.

IMG_20130426_192731_zpsd2p54bea.jpg

Here's the clearance after.

IMG_20130429_132957_zpsnziv2gg8.jpg

I used aftermarket lift control arms and extended rear shackles on mine. I'm quite sure I need to shim the axle to bring my u joint angles back in to spec, but I've not done that.

IMG_20130426_195224_zps05iftdc4.jpg

IMG_20130426_184353_zpseacpfmww.jpg

With shackles, 2 inches of length equals 1 inch of lift. Just FYI.

IMG_20130426_184438_zpsuylzyhxd.jpg

IMG_20130426_190123_zpsdhtinvyx.jpg

oh and I found a different place to host the url that doesn't go stupid like photobucket

• 4 weeks later...

oh and I found a different place to host the url that doesn't go stupid like photobucket

thanks for the pictures, they help a LOT. Also, have you ever had problems with your clutch slave cylinder or brake master cylinder? I need to replace both and create a brace because there is always some play and they flex. Another thing is, I have an offroading light tower like yours...is yours welded to the frame? mine is just bolted onto the body and currently serves no purpose if I were to flip my wife.

My 2 cents is spend your money on parts that will improve ride quality and reliability, new suspension bushings, Weber carburetor, new u joints, shocks, things of that sort....

Body lifts and slightly bigger tires aren't going to make your truck anymore capable then it already is. There isn't easily available options for front or rear lockers or taller gears to even push big tires.

If you are going to keep the drive-train mostly stock, then its best to just leave it alone, slap some 30x9.5 AT or MT tires and go have fun in the woods/desert/beach... wherever.