FS5W60A: Internal Spring Question

Hi Guys --

I'm working on rebuilding my 210 5-speed. As I was removing a synchro hub *SPROING!* -- it came undone right before my eyes. Only problem now is that I don't know what the orientation should be of the tang on the spread spring should be on the shifting inserts. 

Anyone who's rebuilt one, should it be like image 1, 2, or 3? Help!

IMG_9933.jpg

IMG_9931.jpg

IMG_9932.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My service manual shows the spring goes inside the finger. It also says to make sure the springs are oriented so that tang (90 degree bend part) is not in the same finger. Put one at 4 o'clock and on the opposite side put the other one at 8 or 12.

And yes they do tend pop out.

Tom

• Like 1

Ben I have the factory Datsun 1200 Chassis & Body Manual; I.E. Nissan factory manual. I have the Australian (aftermarket white with A12 engine on cover) manual it shows the same. I've also got another one by a published called Interpool or Interpol (yellow sedan on cover). I have a Haynes one as well but I think the others are much better.

I have my ultra close ratio 4 speed on the work bench so happened to be double checking specs. Somewhere on the net is a download for the 60 series. I have it saved but don't remember where I got it from.

Tom