1974 B-210 A13 timing/ignition?

B-210 GX

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many reasons for not starting. Timing isn't very high on the list. Timing doesn't change very much by itself, mostly from points wear. As you haven't mentioned taking the distributor out and messing up the timing or any things you have tried, here's a few ideas.

For an engine to run you need two things. Spark and fuel

Spark

Pull a coil wire off and put an old spark plug in the end and lay on a grounded surface. Have someone crank the engine over with the starter. Is there spark????

Fuel

Look on the front of the carburetor, there is a sight glass with the fuel level marked. Is there gas???

Let me know which one is missing 

You might also look at what was the last thing you did to the engine that might have causes this. Like did you have the plug wires off? Was the rotor removed? Coil wire off ? things like that...

• Like 1

Thanks mike, I'll let you know when I get back to the old girl tomorrow. I realize now that it might have been useful to mention that the guy I bought the car from replaced the distributor. I've replaced the fuel pump and filter, along with the coil and plugs. The stock carb was also replaced with a Weber 32/36 by the previous owner. Bit of a project

Well the replaced dizzy has now moved to the top of the list. I'm more familiar with the L series and the distributor only goes in one way. The A series has a gear that must mesh with the cam so the engine should probably be at a known position like top dead center.

I'm going to let someone more knowledgeable supply the answer.

• Like 1

It's been awhile but a B210 should have a matchbox style electronic unit, all of the ones I've dealt with had an A14. If the A13 is the same pop the cap, spin the motor round till the ignition rotor is pointing the number one, look down at the timing marks and see where they are. Confirm #1 is at TDC. Static timing shoul be around 7 degrees BTDC, 35-40 degrees at 4000 RPMs. Naturally double check the book, if you don't have a manual go to Datsun1200.com it will have the specs.

Tom

B-210 Gx, there's a guy here that downloaded tons of manuals and may have yours.  Basically, setting timing is similar across the board with various cars..difference is timing mark and degrees and/or some people will also set their ttl advance, up to you.

74 is a points distributor.

Also, remember 74 had the evil seatbelt interlock device and won't start unless a weight is in the seat and the seatbelt closed.

I'm the manual guy and I own a 74 B210 too. Unfortunately I don't have a 74 B210 manual up, 75 I do, but 74 had a lot of 1 year only weirdness.

See here to set timing, for the a12 but extremely similar with the a13.

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Ignition_Timing