L20B Turbo 2.2L

Riceball

Am starting to gather parts to build a turbo L20b. I think I am interested in the Frankenstein 2.2L specs. The question I have: the pistons listed are 2.2E, I assume that is the Porsche piston? Expensive. Anyone have an alternate piston to keep cr down for turbo application. Any info will help

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nissan didn't use Porsche pistons so I have no idea what you mean by mentioning them..

There were two Z22 piston/rod combinations, both 87mm diameter, but you will probably want to re-build and want to go to some over size. These are hyper eutectic so if you want forged you'll have to source them from somewhere. Stock pistons are good for 5-8 PSI reliably with good engine control. Ten PSI for short bursts but not recommended for continuous use.

The Z22S and early Z22E had a 9.32cc dish. The later Z22E piston was probably the same but a higher piston pin allowed a longer rod. However if used with an open chamber L head with smaller combustion chambers the compression jumps to 9.84. You might want to consider keeping the engine a Z22 as these had dual spark plugs, cross flow heads and 8.5 compression.

Thanks datzenmike.

everywhere I see the Frankenstein specs it lists the Turbo 2.2L as using 2.2E pistons. Is that a a typo and they are actually mean Z22E pistons. It concerned me because I have seen the Frankenstein specs listed numerous places and they all state 2.2E.

As far as using a Z22 block, at this point I am set to use the L20b as I have already sourced one and am stripping it down to prepare it for the machine work.

Just for what it's worth: My build is for a transplant into a Suzuki Samurai, (sorry if that offends some) and if any of you know a Samurai they use a 1300 cc and with over sized tires it is worse than gutless, really really painfull. My build idea came from a guy that goes by "boxcar" I'm pretty sure he is or maybe was a member here. From what I have read he seems like a pretty knowledgeable Datsun guy. Here is a link to the build that inspired me http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content?topic=125910.0

Thanks for any input

SR pistons are only 85mm or 86mm if 1mm oversize. On an L20B crank that 1956cc and not near 2.2. With a Z22 crank that's only 2,084cc or 2.1 liters. With 1mm over size piston only 2,136cc

Using a Z22 crank

If you use over size (86mm) SR pistons or late Z22 (87mm) pistons on L20B rods. This moves the piston about 3.6mm below the deck at TDC and increases the combustion chamber size by about over 20cc.

The SR dish is 12cc (I think) so compression is about 7.38

Using Z22 pistons the compression is about 7.6

What's with running such low compressions???? It will run like a pigdog at all times you are not boosting. ... which is 99.8% of the time

A real 87mm bore Z22 crank/piston/rods with L series open chamber head is 9.84 compression. Hog out some much needed relief around the valve's to unshroud them and open up the combustion chamber. All you need is about 8 or 9 cc removed and you had stock compression 8.4

This will live if boost is kept to 5-8 PSI on those hypereutectic pistons.

Haha nice. I was looking at an engineless samurai a few months back and looking to see if anyone had z series swapped one, since I have spares. I'm a fan of datsun upgrades to samurais.

Boxcar was posting pretty heavily there for a while not long ago. He might still respond to a private message.

Are there any specs to go by if I were to have a Z24 crank counter balance's machined to fit L20b block. So if I took it to the machine shop I could say take .250" from each counter balance or do I just have to trial and error. Also how bad would it be to just angle grind the counter balance?

The cranks are precision balanced, you can't angle grind them. Lath cut, if careful, but in all cases you must have it balanced.

I wouldn't, the stroke is much too severe for an L20B. This is why the Z24 is 3/4" taller than the L20B. If running a Z24 crank fuck, just run a Z24 with an L head. Forget the turbo L20B with 5 pounds of boost.

LZ2.4 with U67 head with well hogged out combustion chamber, L16 exhaust manifold, '78-'80 intake and a 38/38 weber.  TONS of torque.

• Like 1

You guys assume he's putting this in the Sami just because that's what's in his profile? Interesting swap.

Agreed with Mike, don't waste your time boosting to 5psi. Waste of resources, time, money and horsepower (as in, there won't be any).

Using a grinder to turn a crank is not advisable.

Just for what it's worth: My build is for a transplant into a Suzuki Samurai, (sorry if that offends some) and if any of you know a Samurai they use a 1300 cc and with over sized tires it is worse than gutless, really really painfull. My build idea came from a guy that goes by "boxcar" I'm pretty sure he is or maybe was a member here. From what I have read he seems like a pretty knowledgeable Datsun guy. Here is a link to the build that inspired me http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content?topic=125910.0

Thanks for any input

Nah, he said so.

Ok

Like I said earlier, I'm pretty much committed to the L20B block. Not sure I want to get into machining a Z24 crank so I'll probably stick to the:

L20B block bored to 87mm

Z22 crank

Z22 pistons

Megasquirt EFI

And Turbo

As for the VW diesel swap. Looks to me to be more work than its worth, in my mind, the L20b swap makes sense. Pretty straight forward fabricating for fitment, I can run an automatic if I decide, possible three times stock Samurai 1300 horsepower and have the Datsun cool factor to boot!! Plus I don't want to be like everyone else. Not to mention Suzuki and Datsun seem to go together better!

Hey Lockleaf, are you in Northern Utah? If so you wouldn't happen to know of any Z22 cranks and or Datsun three speed automatic 26 inch long transmissions lying around. I might be looking for these.

The PL510 had short 3N71B automatics on the L16. The flex plates were 5 bolt. The L20B is a six bolt crank. Not sure if the 6 bolt flex plate will mate to the L16 torque converter or not. Maybe the 6 bolt flex plate and torque converter will swap to the 510's automatic transmission.

I believe all L20B autos are 31.5" long.

L20B or 2 liters makes about 93hp so an LZ22 would make about 105-110 hp. A 5 PSI turbo boost would add aprox. 30% to this so maybe 140hp? That's way more than a Samurai deserves. More and you will shorten the life of the Samurai drive train.

Complete z22 for sale in central Utah.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=678&ad=41722580&cat=&lpid=

Only other z22 I know of in my vicinity is in my 510 wagon in my back yard.

I got nothing on sourcing an auto though.

And yes I live in northern Utah about 30 min south of SLC.