1973 620 transmission swap

after my cummins restoration i decided to buy a 620 to restore. after 7 months of searching i found a decent one. once i got under it i discovered that i had a tranny out of a 1979 720 under it along with the wrong driveshaft. i was wondering if anyone either knew where to get the correct transmission and driveshaft or which other tansmissions will fit that will allow the shifter to be in the correct place and run a single driveshaft. ive also been told that it needs a single driveshaft but the trusty parts store guy said that it has two driveshafts. which is better and which was correct? thanks in advance!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The '79 was a 620.

No 620 ever made had a single driveshaft. They are not 'better' so what you were told is just someone's opinion..

If you have a '79 transmission it is better and stronger than the '73. If in, an working it's fine.

The 620 cabs were all the same forward of the rear of the seats so this transmission shifter is fine and only a inch or two different than the '73 placement.

Pictures would help.

• Like 1

Agree on how purist you are I guess. Either transmission are correct for a 620, just the year is wrong. Outside of Ratsun I doubt anyone else would even know.

One piece drive shaft would be totally wrong though. If a '79 then it's a 71B trans, could be a 5 speed even. If converted to a 71B then a 5 speed would drop right in it's place, no mods.