Timing chain question.

cooprasupra

I recently had to do some head work which involved removing the cam. In doing so I pulled off the timing chain sprocket and shimmed the chain and tensioner so it would not move. This in the end did not work and it came loose. After researching here it seems that the general consensus is that you cannot fix the tensioner without removing the timing chain cover. However I am pretty sure that I have gotten everything back in line with a long flat head screwdriver. My question now is in the following pictures if this is too much slack in the chain?

n19PDiM.jpgMAhoSNX.jpgBi8lQgD.jpg

V7Yccll.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The tensioner needs oil pressure to fully tension the chain.

About all you can do to check is to turn the engine clockwise, which will put all the slack on the tensioner side.

The weak tensioner spring, should push it out so most of the slack is taken up.

Congrats on getting it all back into place without taking the cover off. I managed to do that a couple of times over the years, but failed a few times also.

I was running a Nismo tensioner with the retainer, that keeps it from falling apart.

DSC08017_1.jpg

But now I have just went to a Kamari adjustable chain tensioner.

Kameari-tens1.jpg

• Like 2

I worked out how much the oil pressure adds to the tensioner years ago. It's only about 7-8 pounds, and this is at 50 PSI revved up..... at idle it's under 3.5PSI. The oil's primary function is likely just to lubricate it. 3 to 8 pounds isn't that significant.

• Like 1

Well, that's 3-8 pounds of force more than the spring alone.  :)

Stock spring pressure can be measured in ounces.

Don't remember what engine I seen this on, but there is one system out there that has something simular to a ratchet mechanisim, that once the tensioner extends, it can only back up a little ways.

Unfortunately, it isn't the L-series......

So low oil pressure will allow the chain to bounce around, and if you ever have an engine turn backwards, even for a half a second, the chain goes totally limp.

Probably why so many L-series have the oil jet cut nearly in two from the chain beating on it.

The tensioner needs oil pressure to fully tension the chain.

About all you can do to check is to turn the engine clockwise, which will put all the slack on the tensioner side.

The weak tensioner spring, should push it out so most of the slack is taken up.

Congrats on getting it all back into place without taking the cover off. I managed to do that a couple of times over the years, but failed a few times also.

I was running a Nismo tensioner with the retainer, that keeps it from falling apart.

But now I have just went to a Kamari adjustable chain tensioner.

Kameari-tens1.jpg

Dang.. baller.

Well, that's 3-8 pounds of force more than the spring alone.   :)

Stock spring pressure can be measured in ounces.

Well I was of the opinion that the spring was much stiffer than I thought. I guess it's just awkward holding it in so you can slip the shoe under the chain. Went out (in the rain) and you can easily hold it between thumb and finger. So.... yes 3-8 pounds is a lot.

motorchaintensioner006Large.jpg

• Like 1