Another Pertronix/Coil Question

Burns85

1971 510

-L20B

-Pertronix, ignition, no points

-Currently running a ballast

I was doing a tune up, replacing all my ignition parts and my coil decided to let go (the contact inside the end where you plug the distributor wire in turned to dust). The car has been reasonably trouble free so I dont mind throwing a few parts at it.

Is there a coil I can run without using a ballast, like a Blaster 2, or am I stuck using one until times end? My current coil has no markings or ID numbers on it which is why I started searching for what may work.

Ive read about 15 threads regarding the topic but my brain and electronics is having a hard time with it all. Anyways, what can I replace my current coil with? And is there a chance I can run a coil that wont need a ballast?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.amazon.com/ACCEL-8140-Performance-Universal-SuperStock/dp/B00064P99W/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1476366201&vehicle=1971-67-878-20-----16030------3-0&sr=1-2&ymm=1971%3Anissan%3A510

Boom. So something like this! There are a lot of "Black" no name coils, so I figure it cant hurt to do a name brand. Price isn't bad either.

With the 1.4 ohm coil, do I need the ballast? How many ohms should I bee supplying?

With the pertronix you need 3 ohms or it will burn up. You can run the blaster coil with the resistor and it'll be fine. Probably won't have any hotter spark than the stock one. You could run just a stock replacement black one or a Bosch blue coil works good too.

On the 620 I had, the coil died and I put an msd one on and it was a dud, ended up with with a standard motor products generic coil for a tractor on it.

On another 620 I had I had a 3 ohm blue coil with no resistor, ran well but the coil did get warm.

• Like 1

This question has come up before. Pertronix has pretty specific guidelines on what ohm ratings you need. When you buy the Pertronix, the instructions in the box explain it, or you can see the guidelines here. Look in the FAQ's on this link.

http://www.pertronix.com/docs/instruction-sheets/1141.pdf

Okay, so from what Banzai510 said, I need a 1.4 ohm coil .

Scooter says 3.0 ohm coil.

I see Mallory 1.4 ohm, Accel 1.4 ohm, Pertronix 3.0 ohm.

Honestly.....I'm lost boys. So assuming I but a 1.4 ohm Mallory, I'd need to use the ballast. With the 3.0 ohm from Pertronix, no ballast? Granted I'm a Mechanical Engineer, electronics and my brain don't mesh. Sorry if this is a dumb question!

dude this is SIMPLE

If you have the stock Datsun ballast in there just buy the stock Datsun 71 510 coil!!!!!!!!!!!!DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all the other coils will will work only if you add more ballast resisitors to keep it under 4 amps..  So Just buy a Stock 510 coil and put it IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really I know what you want.   YOu want pretty/looks Cool!!!!!!!!!!!   Ther cheaper Accels are made in China.

I'm good with the wiring, that's not an issue. Thank you though!!

The question that I have yet to get a straight answer to is how many ohms to run. After reading the pertronix .pdf it sates a 4 cyl, 12v car should run a 3 ohm coil (insert a pertronix part number 40511, 3.0 ohm, flamethrower, no ballast).

Where my knowledge ends is what a ballast does. A stock 510 coil is 1.4 ohms, does a ballast add that remaining 1.6 to make it a total of 3.0 ohms? If a ballast regulates current (amps), then where do the ohms come in?

...anyways, looks like Ill make a pertonix 3.0 ohm coil happen :)

I tried my best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I gave my answer. Its the best

1.6 ohm coil(stock) and a 1.6 ohm ballast 1.6 = 3.2 ohms   not thinkitn to install. Stop being OCD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buy stock coil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had over 16years with Pertronix and never had one go bad besides the weights falling out when the tape wore out(worn bushing).. I wear out the distributors before the pertronix goes bad

Other people pop them by not running a ballast or running a low ohm coil.

However that 3 ohm resisitor is 3 ohms all the time.

this is why I like the stock set up: read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the stock system has a bypass wire or HOT start wire which bypasses the ballast so 12volt s goes to the 1.6 ohm coil thus a hotter or try to get a harder spark during the starter draw(might be less the 10volts) so your car can start then key snaps back to the standard wire thru the ballast  then to the coil.  Since points like a lower current. and also the Pertronix and the Mallory Unilites

• Like 1

I tried my best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I gave my answer. Its the best

1.6 ohm coil(stock) and a 1.6 ohm ballast 1.6 = 3.2 ohms   not thinkitn to install. Stop being OCD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buy stock coil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had over 16years with Pertronix and never had one go bad besides the weights falling out when the tape wore out(worn bushing).. I wear out the distributors before the pertronix goes bad

Other people pop them by not running a ballast or running a low ohm coil.

However that 3 ohm resisitor is 3 ohms all the time.

this is why I like the stock set up: read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the stock system has a bypass wire or HOT start wire which bypasses the ballast so 12volt s goes to the 1.6 ohm coil thus a hotter or try to get a harder spark during the starter draw(might be less the 10volts) so your car can start then key snaps back to the standard wire thru the ballast  then to the coil.  Since points like a lower current. and also the Pertronix and the Mallory Unilites

Awesome! Thank you for the input. I was looking for the details since the numbers weren't matching up (Engineering thing)!

Get the cheaper coil. After market, you are paying an 80% increase to cover their advertising about how fucking great their coils are..... they ain't!!! Coils are coils. Voltage out depends on how much current flows through them. 3 ohm coil or 1.5 ohm coil with 1.5 ohm ballast flows the same!!!!!!!!!

After market coils are pretty to look at but basically they are like fishing lures..... they catch more fishermen than fish!!!

Sorry I meant 3 ohms total. So use a 3 ohm coil with no ballast or use a ballast and a 1.5 ohm coil. Simple what everyone says. That generic tractor coil worked better than one of those massive accel POS coils or a regular blaster. My 200sx has a blaster 2 on it now but it had a accel super stock but it leaked, still worked but it was just leaking.

What MAY be worth looking into is getting a vibration proof one, msd makes one and others do too, but if you like to hit the dirt roads often a epoxy filled one will last longer than a standard oil filled one.

I'm good with the wiring, that's not an issue. Thank you though!!

The question that I have yet to get a straight answer to is how many ohms to run. After reading the pertronix .pdf it sates a 4 cyl, 12v car should run a 3 ohm coil (insert a pertronix part number 40511, 3.0 ohm, flamethrower, no ballast).

Where my knowledge ends is what a ballast does. A stock 510 coil is 1.4 ohms, does a ballast add that remaining 1.6 to make it a total of 3.0 ohms? If a ballast regulates current (amps), then where do the ohms come in?

...anyways, looks like Ill make a pertonix 3.0 ohm coil happen :)

This question has come up before. Pertronix has pretty specific guidelines on what ohm ratings you need. When you buy the Pertronix, the instructions in the box explain it, or you can see the guidelines here. Look in the FAQ's on this link.

http://www.pertronix.com/docs/instruction-sheets/1141.pdf

That should give you all the info you need. What more do you want?

These guys who ask a question and then demand an answer, or get pissy when we don't bow down to their needs really tick me off.

Learn some humility or go away.

So I got the pertronix coil in, removed the ballast/tidied up the wiring, plugged her in and she fired up! I need to adjust the dellortos a little bit, but my ignition problem is definitely solved! Using the info from page one regarding the correct wired to plug onto each side of the coil, it was the easiest install ever. Thanks boys!!

• Like 2