84 nissan 720 4x4 stripped ring and pinion

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you removed it yet? Likely the pinion shaft fell out and the side gears are off. Look on the engine tag on the inner pass side fender below the hood hinge for the axle ratio. Bottom line Trans/Axle.......FS5W71B........ HG41?

41 is a 4.11 ratio* you likely have this one

43 is a 4.375 ratio

Find another used one from a wrecking yard

That would be a C200 with 8 bolts holding the back access plate on, that one will be a bit harder to do, as you cannot just replace the ring and pinion and put it back together, it has to be set up properly by some one that knows what they are doing.

It likely would be cheaper to find a good complete rear axle out of another Nissan 4X4 with the same gear ratio and put that into your truck, than it would be to buy a ring and pinion and pay someone that knows what they are doing to put it together.

I had one with a lot of slop, but my carrier housing was destroyed, so I went to the wrecking yard and bought a used carrier, put my ring on it and put it back together and it worked great till all the gear oil came out of it because of a seal leak I didn't catch in time.

You need to pull the cover off and see why it has so much slop, it might not be the ring and pinion.