L20b coolant hose question

710wagon

Hi all. New to the forum and Datsuns as well. I just installed duke webbers on and in doing so, one of the hose connection broke. I'm not sure how vital this connection is? I took some pics but don't see how to post them.

The hose comes from the the lower part of the motor on the passengers side up past the fuel pump across the front and connects to the same part where the hose from the radiator connects to the motor. If I figure out how to post a pic, I'll get it up. Sorry.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

So its been some time and I am finally getting back to getting the 710 on the road. However, I still can't seem to find the connector that I need. I did contact Nissan and the part number that some members said that might work are no longer made. Not sure where I can finally find this stupid fitting so I can get it back running. Any site information that I may have missed in my search would be greatly appreciated. 

If anyone knows if a part off of a Z that may work where it will be easier to find, please let me know. I also tried every auto store to see if there would be a universal fitting and have had no luck. 

Just take that part to the auto parts store, and match the threads to all the fittings they have in their parts bins.

here is the piece that broke and where it mounts. It mounts right below the main hose that travels from the radiator to the motor.  

IMG_1124.jpg

You even have the part out! Take it with you and get a match.

• Like 1

Need metric. Find a metric thread place. Try a large machine shop. Maybe they can at least tell you the thread pitch and you can go on line for the fitting or they can order you one.

Hell it may be cheaper to drill it out and tap it to an NPT thread fitting that is easily found.

Why not just spend the $10 on a NPT tap and get a NPT to 3/8 (or whatever size is closest) hose barb nipple? If I had to guess, it's probably 1/4 NPT with a 3/8 nipple.

I understand the desire to keep it original, but this seems like a pretty poor excuse for keeping the car off the road.

• Like 1

Why not just spend the $10 on a NPT tap and get a NPT to 3/8 (or whatever size is closest) hose barb nipple? If I had to guess, it's probably 1/4 NPT with a 3/8 nipple.

I understand the desire to keep it original, but this seems like a pretty poor excuse for keeping the car off the road.

This. Bpst and metric pipe thread needs to go extinct

Metric is universal around the world. The British Pipe Thread is a Nissan tradition from the 50s when Nissan and Austin of Britain climbed into bed together to build Austin cars with all imported parts in Japan. This gave Nissan access to plans and manufacturing tools and methods under license. Within a few years the parts were entirely made in Japan and then the inevitable... the Japanese taking something good and making it better. Nissan started making their own engines based on the Austin block but better engineered. This is why some MG parts will fit the J and A series engines and why the pressure sender is British thread even up into the 2000s. Maybe they still are. .

That's all fine and good, but we're talking about a guy who isn't driving his car because he's holding out for the right (obsolete) part. With an ounce of ingenuity and a common NPT fitting, that problem would no longer exist.

Maybe around the world BSPT is still widely available, but here in the USA, for whatever reason, they've run it into extinction. Aside from finding a new part from the dealer, the only other option for keeping the proper thread and nipple size would be to start poking around the wrecking yards.