SR20DE clutch kit recommendations / part #'s

tdskip

Good morning - hope everyone had a good weekend. I believe I have found the right clutch for my JDM SR20DE engine, EXEDY KNS02 OEM Replacement Clutch Kit, but I wanted to double check and see if anyone has experience pro/con to share.

This car won't be raced or drifted, but it will be driven con brio B)

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that site - was not aware of it.

I am coming up with the following part #NSK-7455, can't seem to find it here in the States.

After doing more searching I have seen two referencing to using a late '80s Nissan Maxima clutch kit, Exedy 06009, which is a 240mm set up.

I have also seen claims that the RWD-SR20DET/DE clutch are identical. Hmmm

OK - no solution yet but have figured some things out. Hopefully this helps others who may come across this in the future.

The SR20DE and DET engines have different flywheel and clutch set ups. The DE is 225mm and the DET is 240mm. As a result of that the pressure plate from a DET will not bolt up to a DE flywheel (ask me how I know that).

Need to decide now if I should simply swap over to DET flywheel so I can use more readily available DET clutch set up.

Apparently the ring gear is the same so the starter should be OK.

• 2 weeks later...

OK - wanted to give an update here and hopefully help others out.

I ordered a SPEC 240mm flywheel and clutch set up from FRSport;

00XH7   SPEC Clutch SN22S Single , Steel Flywheel 1 $287

10 03DZU   SPEC Clutch SN331 Single , Stage 1, Torque: 385 1 $323

I can confirm that the 240mm DET parts will fit just fine on a SR20DE JDM engine.

Nice quality stuff but there were issues with the kit. The pilot bearing they supplied was too big, which I only found out after I installed it of course. If you order this kit do NOT use the supplied pilot bearing, order the factory Nissan one. I found out the hard way, fought to get the one in there out and then the clutch alignment tool wouldn't fit.  So I had to pull it all out and start over - not huge fun when I was working against a clock (work and family commitments). Making matters even more frustrating is that the supplied throwout bearing was faulty and wasn't spinning properly once installed on the throwout arm assembly. One of the pressure plate bolts snapped as well (yes, I was using a torque wrench). Ugh.

FRSport ultimately did the right thing and gave me a new pilot bearing and better through out bearing, but I was there in person with them and they could see I was about to flip out. I'd like to publicly thank Tyler who works the walk-in sales desk as he did the right thing and got me taken care of but if this were a mail order thing it would of been hugely frustrating,

So I finally got the engine and transmission in for good (fingers crossed) but it took a lot more time than it should of. Hope this helps others here...

• Like 1

Glad you got your issues figured out. We all know how frustrating it is when you get the wrong parts or DOA parts straight out of the box. On my S15 SR I used the EXEDY clutch kit without any issues. I bought it in EBay for around 200. I kept mine stock. I didn't go for the 240mm.

The SR and tha KA engines both use the 71C transmission (with different engine bolt pattern) So the flywheel diameter (over all) and starter ring are the same.

The car (S13/14) KA24E and KA24DE use a 225mm flywheel and clutch

The truck (D-21 Hardbody) KA 24E and KA24DE us a a 240mm clutch.

Using a truck flywheel and clutch assy on a car is known as a White Bunny clutch swap and has much higher clamping force.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/240sx-white-bunny-clutch-setup-t227129.html

http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46746

I think you can also use the 300sx PP and clutch disc also.