Ok, took off head and now I've got concerns. L20b

KoHeartsGPA

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No........

A bypass hole in the thermostat it's self, not the housing.

DSCN1730.jpg

39254d1047148232-drilling-holes-thermost

therm_drl.jpg

This will work but the water goes directly into the rad. This displaced cold water out the lower rad hose into the warming engine further slowing the warm up. A LOT of water is going to flow through that small hole in 5 min. The by pass runs this slightly warmed water directly back into the warming engine. Cold rad water stays in the rad until the thermostat finally opens and there is flow.

If a hole in the thermostat was the best way, Nissan would have done this. Instead they went to a lot of trouble to develop the by pass system.

Not saying the drilled hole in the thermostat won't work, just not the best way.

• Like 2

If running side drafts there would still be the by pass hole in the thermostat housing. THIS is the by pass. The water cooled/warmed intakes just used the already there by pass as an easy connection back to the cooling system. 

• Like 1

If a hole in the thermostat was the best way, Nissan would have done this. Instead they went to a lot of trouble to develop the by pass system.

They actually did have one, Mike. It has a jiggle valve in it. Drilling the hole is more of a cheap insurance policy than a real performance mod. I usually just clip off the jiggle valve.

The argument that the factory is always right has proven time and time again to be a misleading theory. Fact is, improvements can be made to just about anything. 

• Like 2

I guess an L20B thermostat housing will have the fitting, but you will need to somehow T it into the coolant line from the intake.

L16%20exhaust%20005.jpg

Not really shown well is the by-pass hose from the thermostat housing just behind the vacuum advance hose. It T's into that rusty metal pipe from the intake. That metal pipe continues down across the front of the engine to the lower rad hose. This is a '76 L20B that didn't have the water cooled intake but I was able to get a '79 intake and the by-pass with the T.

That '79 intake with the EGR carefully removed looks way better that a block off plate huh?

Unless one is on a circle track it doesn't really matter, big valves, big intakes, closed chamber, all are big plus's, liners in exhaust, small negative on daily driver.

What's ya need two head gaskets for, maybe I am missing something.

Lower compression :thumbup:

:rofl:

• Like 1

Too big on an exhaust port? The U67 exhaust ports are as large and larger and square at the manifold. For all the work probably no gain removing them, and not easy: the valves have to come out, I've done this. There are raised bumps along the port length to support the liners away from the walls so they get, and stay hot. I ground them away. 

Unless one is on a circle track it doesn't really matter, big valves, big intakes, closed chamber, all are big plus's, liners in exhaust, small negative on daily driver.

What's ya need two head gaskets for, maybe I am missing something.

Spare HG, i like to hoard spare parts ;)

Why would you want the compression any lower than 9:1 ? Even with 87 octane, 9:1 is not even close to being a problem.

The exhaust ports become too large once you pull the liners. If you're going to run that head, it's better to leave them in.

This, unless I'm racing the thing its pointless to remove them, you really don't gain much unless you go ape shit balls to the walls with all the racing mods, and his word means much since he worked for Dave Rebello building racing engines, you guys should see his shop...heaven!

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...