No idle for minutes after starting, hot or cold.

hooptylife

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, racerx. That helps me know where to start. On the cap and rotor i am looking for corrosion and wear, correct? I've popped those off several times in the past and never saw anything concerning, but i'll check 'em again tonight.

Datzenmike, i adjusted the valves last week, setting all the clearances to the cold specs. All the exhaust valves were tight, they're adjusted to the .010" spec now. I was going to adjust them hot soon, but need some time to start rebuilding my tool collection first.

Hey hey!! Success my friends.

Here's what i did:

-checked plug wires (all good)

-cleaned those four posts inside the distributor cap (kinda cruddy, kinda worn; its getting replaced)

-taped up a pin hole i just noticed on the vacuum advance hose (the little hose to the dist?)

Started it up and could tell right away something was changed - for the better finally!

I set the timing and took it for a spin, ran kinda rough at first, lurching a bit. Then the idle started to race. I think that's just the result of my desperate and drastic spinning of screws on the carb. I'll figure that one out:)

But bottom line is, the symptoms of rough idling and dying when hitting the gas are gone. Which one of those little things i checked fixed that? Any ideas?

Thanks to everyone who's helped out, its great to have it running again!

maybe combo of both. contacts on dist. was cruddy as mentioned and hole on hose, tape wont last, they are cheap. maybe one of the wires was not secured enough but good going in making it run right. now what is idling at. should be around 800 rpm.