Hey all, many D21's on here?

Hi Guys, Paul here from New Zealand.

I love the old Dato's but could not afford an earlier Ute than the '94 I have just bought.

Being a work Ute I will not be lowering it, although it does have Monroe shocks already, and possibly aftermarket springs, and the guy I bought it off has put on some Black multi spoke wheels.

So I am pretty happy with the ride although it is a bit wallowy in the steering, so not happy there, having driven it around 250-255 miles home today after flying to get it.

It is in need of various mounts and bushes replaced, and lower(at this stage) ball joints

Is there any way to adjust the steering rack?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First is check the steering alignment. If it's out you will be all over the road

Check that the front wheel bearings are adjusted with the proper preload.

Tires properly inflated?

The real problem is the collective wear in all the steering ball joints and idler arm. The 620 steering box (D-21 probably similar) has a ratio of 19:1, so, if all the wear in the steering joints adds up to only 1/8", the steering box will multiply this 19 times to almost 2.4" of back and forth on the steering wheel.

Raise the front end and have someone seesaw the steering wheel back and forth through this 'loose' area while you inspect all the steering links and ball joints. Everything should move together so look for looseness in any joints. The idler arm is the left side equivalent or mirror image of the steering box. It should turn or rotate with the steering but have no other up and down movement, so pull on it and see if it is worn

Seldom is the box worn but you can check it.

Most of the steering wear (if any at all) is in the middle or straight ahead position that gets all the use. If you adjust the gear lash closer together to reduce the play here, it will be tight to the right and left on turns where there is less wear.... that must be avoided.

Raise the front wheels off the ground

Loosen the lock nut on the top of the steering box and turn the center screw 'tighter' to reduce the gear lash.

Quickly turn the steering wheel lock to lock looking for ANY tightness or tight spots.

Adjust as necessary. Don't forget to hold the adjusting screw while tightening the lock nut. Check L&R for any tightness.

• Like 1

All these new New Zealand members, where were you guys a month ago? I just got back :lol:

Welcome to ratsun, Mike has you on the right track. Any pics of your truck? The Datsun logo on on some of the d21ishes I saw there really threw me :)

IMG_5825_zpsbjbc7hj2.jpg

IMG_5827_zpshnf8yb5j.jpg

Still going through my 2000 pics from the trip. :rofl;

• Like 1

Hey, sweet!  More D21s!  You should get one of us to send you stateside front fenders and grill, etc.  Though the core support may be different.  I've never liked the Navara fenders, but it's still a hardbody!

• Like 1

Boat like driving?  D21s are normally pretty solid.  You want a boat, go drive a mid-90s Dodge with the Cummins.  Steering float is a mile wide, but it tows a bunch!  My D21 is pretty tight, though the power steering options are a quicker ratio than the 2wd non-power steering options.  Those are as long to turn as a 620.

Im in Tauranga man

Yours isn't the flat black one I saw on Trademe a while ago is it?

No, it is the Green one that was in there until last week, with black Steelie Multispokes, picked it up from Napier on Saturday.

Are you on the Modelcarsmag forum too?

Flick me PM and I will send you some pics.

DAMMIT!!! I'm so jealous of the double cabs!! Why didn't we get them here?! Bastards! And holy shit, you guys have wing windows!!

I too carry resentment for the 30 odd years of double cabs we never received. Bastards.

• Like 2

qwik510, they are a standard issue here, some were imports(as this one may be) decks like this are very common here in New Zealand, with an optimal amount of deck space with no wheel wells in the way.

82m, in Auckland mate, how bout you?

Im in Tauranga man

Yours isn't the flat black one I saw on Trademe a while ago is it?

I feel like I know a foreign language now.... almost. I did read this with a New Zealand accent tho :lol: 

• Like 1