TIRE ALIGNMENT QUESTION!!

620dude

HI All!  

So I was the guy who just recently changed out a bad side arm tie rod on my 75 620.  When I first received the part in the mail (after taking the advice from someone on my last thread) I was confused to see that the tie rod was one single piece, without any means of altering the toe.  I was worried that everything would be screwed up, then I read the maintenance manual and found that the steering is of a "relay" design, and the crossbar is actually used to correct toe alignment.  

I put the new tie rod on, and found that my passenger side wheel was facing out about 1", while the driver side wheel was sitting straight on.  In my research I learned that I can correct toe alignment, by adjusting the crossbar.  What I didn't find was how to correct toe alignment on just one side, rather than adjusting both sides simultaneously )which would straighten the passenger side, while pulling the driver side in too far.  

NOTE: the tie rod arm that I changed out, did have adjustable ends and was able to be adjusted independently from the driver side without using the crossbar.

NOTE II:  I don't have that option now that I changed the tie rod to the fixed tie rod assembly now sold on Moog autoparts.

CAN I STILL ADJUST THE TOE ALIGNMENT INDEPENDENTLY?  if so how would I go about doing that?  any tips?  

I'm not all that familiar with relay steering systems

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It shouldn't have had adjustment on it, so must have been changed before with the wrong one or something other than stock part. You now have the correct part..

The 620 tie rods are solid. The adjustment is made in the center of the steering under the oil pan. Loosen the lock nut on each side of the cross rod and rotate it. It has L&R threads so turning it moves the left and right tie rods out or in to set the toe.

POST #7 and #19 on you other thread about the same thing, have already explained this to you and now a third time on this one. You do not have stock parts so I can only answer what the 620 does and how it's adjusted. Post pictures....

I understand that much, I need to find a way to set the tow independently because only one side is out of alignment when the other side is straight.  if I pull the passenger side in, the driver side will also pull in and that will give me an undesirable toe.  I have 225/40 r18 's on there and I'm thinking having a -2-3mm toe would be desirable.. how can I bring the passenger side in without bringing the driver side in... or is there a trick for doing that?

Stop over thinking this. If one wheel were turned in you wouldn't drive down the road like that with one straight and the other in. The vehicle would steer to the straight ahead side and you would correct by turning toward the opposite. You would drive with both wheels turned in roughly equally. The car would center itself. Same with the adjustment, it turns both wheels in and out. Just turn until both wheels point forward evenly.

I did and now by driver side is turned in, and my passenger side is still sticking out a little.  it's obviously still wrong at this point.  I adjusted it so it drives straight(ish) but it's still visually wonky.  if the crossbar adjusts both sides simultaneously how could it possible fix the toe if one wheel is sticking out and the other is straight.  if you pull both sides in. the driver side will be pulled in too far.  how does one fix that? 

ok I will keep trying.  secondly to keep the steering wheel straight, or to straighten it out after I have my car driving straight, how would I go about doing that?  will it be straight once the wheels are toed correctly, or is there another area where I can adjust the steering wheel to make sure its as straight as I can get it?

The adjustment is sensitive... a small turn of the cross rod, makes a big change in toe on the wheels.

Yes, set the straight ahead alignment and then pop the steering wheel off and center on the closest spline.

Don't forget to tighten the cross rod lock nuts to hold your setting.

I managed to line it up pretty damn close.  drives as close to perfect as I can get it without out computer measurements.  mostly wanted to try and see how much I could learn about it.  I thought about removing the center link as well, but went with king rat's advice.  it worked out.  I think.  today I drove about 15 miles down the free way and it felt pretty damn good,  Thanks for all the advice you guys.  I'll be periodically asking more questions, as I have a bit more to repair before I have the truck in the condition I want it in.  

If we had the money to go to a shop, we wouldn't have Datsuns in the first place.

(this may not have come out the way I intended)

What's the sense of having a car that the owner can easily fix the alignment with a crescent wrench, if he pays a shop to do it?????????

If we had the money to go to a shop, we wouldn't have Datsuns in the first place.

(this may not have come out the way I intended)

What's the sense of having a car that the owner can easily fix the alignment with a crescent wrench, if he pays a shop to do it?????????

True in a way buuuttt

I have to disagree on that one mike most of the people here buy a datsun because the have passion for it... I bought my truck for 3,500 I could of bought two civics or a newer salvaged car but no I chose my truck over everything not to mention how much money I put into it

I was kidding as I often do. Datsuns were cheap and simple vehicles and almost totally fixable by their owners if they have the interest, tools and a little knowledge and help. Usually this is what all vintage car ownership is all about. Enjoying owning and keeping a vehicle on the road. This is the way all car ownership used to be, but sadly today they have to go to a garage just to ask it what's wrong.

If you can't fix your Datsun, you can at least know what's wrong with it, right?

• Like 1

Also, why work 3-4-? hours to pay for one mechanic's hour of time to rebuild you carb? Hell I bet they didn't even teach carburetors when he was in high school so you'll be paying him to learn how to fix your carb. Basically you know more about it than he does, having driven it. Once you learn something you get to carry that knowledge around with you free for ever.

• Like 1