Brake lines

Scgreen620

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just get the copper nickel stuff from the autopart store. It's easy to bend and flare. If you need flares done and the line is off the car, find a shop that builds cars. It won't be hard to find one in LA. They probably have the good Eastwood tool. I took my lines to a shop when I redid all the hydraulics on my car. Perfect flares every time. He didn't charge be but I threw him a few bucks each time as a token of appreciation.

• Like 1

Another post I asked about the whole flaring deal

I bought 3 flaring fittings and the fucking nuts stripped on me right when everything is going fine this shit happened

Any ways my question is what is the actual size on the flaring nuts and where can I get them locally... The box they came in say 3/16 the fit on the tube correctly but they fit a bit lose in the master cylinder ...

Another thing let's say I flared the tube and it is slightly cocked would that cause that to strip the flaring fitting ? Please help thanks

This should have been left in the other thread.

You need pictures.

And you need lots of practice flaring before you should trust any line you install on your vehicle.

Cut little 1 1/2" chunks of line so you can install dry with a flare nut to verify if you are doing it correctly or not.

Only loss is the small chunk of tube.

Purchase flare nut wrenches at HF, Sears, Lowes, Home Depot, auto parts store.

A crooked flare will leak.

A crooked line, bent in to the flare, will kink and rub against the flare...leak/brake failure.

These are new fittings. There should be no way to strip the heads unless you are blatanly doing it wrong.

Flaring tool. Flare nut wrenches. Tubing bender.

Take busted flare to the parts store and let them match the threads.

If these are rounding off, check threads of what you are installing in to. That part may be galled.

• Like 1

Another post I asked about the whole flaring deal

I bought 3 flaring fittings and the fucking nuts stripped on me right when everything is going fine this shit happened

Any ways my question is what is the actual size on the flaring nuts and where can I get them locally... The box they came in say 3/16 the fit on the tube correctly but they fit a bit lose in the master cylinder ...

Another thing let's say I flared the tube and it is slightly cocked would that cause that to strip the flaring fitting ? Please help thanks

Line size is 3/16" fittings are Japanese M10x1.0

• Like 1

Ok so good news new flare nut size correct not no leaks after two times of redoing the box didn't have instructions and all the videos I was watching didn't explain correctly I figured it out!

Bad news is the master cylinder caps are leaking (their nabco caps) and the driver side calipers are leaking

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Above that line, I was happy to help and get you through your mechanical woes.

Below that line, I offer no help until you create one, uno, singular thread for your truck with pictures included.

You're gaining knowledge from us. Pay it forward by being a contributor to the content.

Geeeeez. Measure the length of the old ones with a piece of string and buy them! Get same length or closest over size..... $5 or $6, less for the short side, already made perfectly. Just bend into shape around a baseball bat and put on. Brakes! The single most important safety device on your truck. I'll lend you the $8 to do it right.

Geeeeeeeeez buy them. Already perfectly made. Flaring your own is only good for some kind of custom job. Like '82 Dodge Omni. Brake line from front to rear had different flairs and nut size on each end. $110 from the dealer... fixed for under $5. In most cases pre made is simply too easy and too cheap to pass up

• Like 1