Brake lines

Scgreen620

So on my truck I want to replace the master cylinder but the previous owner destroyed and raped the brake lines .. I know I can take them off with pliers but I want to do it right would I need new lines or can I just replace the nut/ head/ outlet no don't know what it's called ..? Thanks guys

• Like 1
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can use a flaring tool properly, you can cut the ends off and replace the flare nuts.

You need to be good at this as you will be shortening your lines in the process.

If you fuck up more than once you will probably be needing to replace entire chunks of line.

Don't lie to yourself either with this. Don't scab your brake lines together. Do it right.

• Like 6

Best tip for flaring...the die that holds line to be fabbed, that thing needs to be tight. You can't comprehend how tight I mean. Fucking tight. I can't explain that enough.

That it the key to perfect flairs.

And doing that in the car is super tricky.

• Like 4

Yes yes and yes to what gato ^ said, get to practice BEFORE you go do your lines, buy a piece of brake line at auto parts store and start practicing, you will thank us, and yes they do neeed to be fucking perfect, your safety/life depend on it....so....practice your flaring skills, and don't buy the cheap flaring kit either!

• Like 1

This might help you get started.

Most car parts stores will have the flare nuts or they can order them.  They'll also have the premade lines.  If you can find one about the right length, you won't have to do any flaring.

• Like 2

Geeeeez. Measure the length of the old ones with a piece of string and buy them! Get same length or closest over size..... $5 or $6, less for the short side, already made perfectly. Just bend into shape around a baseball bat and put on. Brakes! The single most important safety device on your truck. I'll lend you the $8 to do it right.

• Like 1