Wood on the inside

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was never a fan of the wood doors but I've seen wooden headliner and wood dash seemed nice because it had been done in other American cars etc.

I made a wooden dash but wooden door panels wouldn't be harder anyways. Home Depot could be your best friend.

He means door panels? Why not say so? They have traditionally been covered foam padding on press board backing, usually vinyl. Wood will visually look 'too hard' on an interior piece, foam sheeting and fabric would look better. I don't know of any vehicles that had solid wood door panels. You could mactack the upper inside metal above the door panels that holds the window felt in wood grain. 

I did this on my 510 back in the day, using scrap GM exterior wood grain vinyl for the '75 trucks. It was somewhat stretchy and would form around the curved surface.

• Like 1

You could mactack the upper inside metal above the door panels that holds the window felt in wood grain. 

I did this on my 510 back in the day, using scrap GM exterior wood grain vinyl for the '75 trucks. It was somewhat stretchy and would form around the curved surface.

It looked like solid wood when done.

lol yeah... real walnut maybe but not plastic veneer.

74BlazerWoograin.jpg

I painted the '74 1/2 ton boxes at GM. There was a guy there who only installed the wood grain trim all day after the paint shop. It came in rolls of peel and stick and often was damaged installing, leading to many pieces being thrown away as garbage. I was told to 'help yourself' and took some home. I watched how it went on with a dip in a bathtub of water to wet it before applying and then squeegee out the air and water bubbles. Hair drier to warm and soften it so it would flow around corners. Worked pretty well on the 4 dr 510. 

• 2 weeks later...