Need new locks, what would you do?

bushcat

I realized after buying the truck that the ignition key doesn't work for the door locks. You think the seller would mention that but no, he didn't. Now I'm calling triple A to unlock the truck. What should my next step be? Get someone to make keys for existing locks (145$)? Buy new locks and do it myself? Buy ignition, fuel lid lock and ignition all together? Did I mention I need a fuel lid lock too? Thoughts? Complaints? Put them here! :)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I realized after buying the truck that the ignition key doesn't work for the door locks. You think the seller would mention that but no, he didn't. Now I'm calling triple A to unlock the truck. What should my next step be? Get someone to make keys for existing locks (145$)? Buy new locks and do it myself? Buy ignition, fuel lid lock and ignition all together? Did I mention I need a fuel lid lock too? Thoughts? Complaints? Put them here! :)

Pull the passenger door lock cylinder. It should have a number on it. You can get a key cut for it. Riley at Lynchburg Nissan still does it. Probably other Nissan dealers too. Also, there used to be a sticker on the inside of the glovebox door with the key number. Most are long gone though.

I'm leaning towards getting the keys made by looking up key number, less work, less money. Maybe down the road, I'll get all the locks to be the same.

Anyone know where I can find the fuel lid lock? I saw on eBay, it's about 25 bucks. Any places cheaper?

I'm leaning towards getting the keys made by looking up key number, less work, less money. Maybe down the road, I'll get all the locks to be the same.

Anyone know where I can find the fuel lid lock? I saw on eBay, it's about 25 bucks. Any places cheaper?

25 bucks sounds fair but check around 

how long do you look for cheaper or do you just cough up  25 and call it a day 

I would check into re key on all so they are like new and one key or at worst 2 keys 

I used a lock from a trailer door, the small storage access doors, or a lock like was used on old metal desks, for the gas door, just find the right length and change out the lock, pretty easy to do.

Not sure how easy they are to find, but my car came with a set of Solex locks installed. It's ann oying having three keys, one for gas door, one for ignition, and one for door/trunk locks, but they work well... 

Success! Locksmith was able to pull the number and make two keys. $15 plus a $5 tip. Tacos $10 to keep me full while removing and installing lock. Total savings over $100+ :)

Glad to hear it worked out.

Tacos YUM!

Not sure how easy they are to find, but my car came with a set of Solex locks installed. It's ann oying having three keys, one for gas door, one for ignition, and one for door/trunk locks, but they work well... 

You know you own a Datsun when ^^^