Interchange 1983 hood on a 1981 720?

the red knight

Hi,

I'm looking to replace my hood but am thinking of trying the '83 hood (NI1230149) on my '81 720 Diesel King Cab rather than swap in a new '81 hood (NI1230103).

Two reasons are:

1. I am finding an '83 hood for a reasonable price: carparts.com
  2. I personally don't like the hood vents and am missing one of them anyways, which seems tricky to replace on top of it all.

So my question is are these interchangeable? nissanpartsdeal.com seems to think they are (they're using part # F5100-01W01), but does anyone have actual experience with this?

Second, are the hood vents on the '81 important? Were there any major differences which might cause problems if I don't have them? I have the SD-22 engine by the way.

Thanks much 

~TRK

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as long as the mounting brackets are all the same, the latch still works and the bevels look ok, I don't mind if it's a bit off. I'm not sure who got in the accident with the truck I had, but having to undo all their dents and electrical rigging, I just want the thing to look like a normal vehicle again and not a demolition derby truck.

Well as long as the mounting brackets are all the same, the latch still works and the bevels look ok, I don't mind if it's a bit off. I'm not sure who got in the accident with the truck I had, but having to undo all their dents and electrical rigging, I just want the thing to look like a normal vehicle again and not a demolition derby truck.

All 720 hoods mount the same, as do the doors and front fenders, the doors guts may be different(electric verses manual), the fenders marker lights/badges may be different, but the hoods, fenders and doors are all the same sheet metal wise, they will bolt right on and function as normal.

The front sheet metal between the fenders and under the hood including the grill are different depending on the year, so whatever grill/bumper you are using, you need to use the same sheet metal for that grill/bumper year.

It was 1/2 price weekend at pick n pull so i made him buy the hood off this 1984(?) as it came stock with no holes in hood,,,, and actually a pretty damn good deal at right around $28. bucks out the door.

029f3ff8-3db2-4d0f-9d74-0edba1a9bbe9_zps

I was general contractor on this job

Took this ,,,,,,,,,, doo-biddy doo

002_zpsfb97ca86.jpg

Then put it where this sat,,,,,,,,,,, doo-biddy doo

001_zps888053d8.jpg

Wham!

( the no homo one)

003_zps9c67ea3a.jpg

We also  changed out the stock wheels for a set of pizza cutters i have been wanting him to try on the truck since it showed up.

As you can see by the frozen puddles ,,, it was a cold affair using the tire changer out in the wind today

White angled paint is where the OG hood vent holes had been welded up ,, before FAT510 started the build thread

Build thread for the lulz

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/62521-fat510s-1980-720-super-deluxe/

• Like 1