Loud noise from freshly installed engine

rundwark

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the rod bearing was spun or beat up, the only right way to deal with it is a complete engine disassembly. If you find out that the repair was done by simply replacing the bearing, or any other means that did not involve having the crank out of the block, definitely be worried.

Why should the crank come out? So the oil galleys in both the block and the crank can be cleaned. Bearing material breaks up into chunks and flakes and can find it's way into the small oil galleys, and if it's not cleaned out properly, it will happen again after the repair.

And that's assuming the crank, rod and piston are even salvageable.

• Like 1

I wonder if the Spray bar is part of the issue.

I always take the alternator and water pump off to get a better angle when putting motor out /in so I don't hit the core support. As that is really a nice car!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Hainz! I left them both on but it sure is tight getting the engine out, or worse, back in. Especially the water pump. I don't think I could've pulled it off without the leveler on the hoist for the tiniest little adjustments to get those extra needed millimeters on each side.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all, a quick update: I have the engine back.

Like I wrote earlier, the seller offered me a full refund right away, but I asked him to check out the engine and see if it's worth fixing instead. If it is, he still has an engine he wants to sell and it's still an engine I want to buy.

He tore the block down and it turned out to be a problem with the #3 rod bearing. The whole idea was: if we can rebuild it at a reasonable cost, we'd do it at his expense, and if not, he'd give me my money back. After getting quotes from the machine shop, we decided to move forward with the rebuild. He had the crank and that one rod reconditioned, honed the cylinders, and reassembled the engine with new pistons rings and new rod and main bearings. Along the way, we exchanged lots of pics and ideas over email, and learned that the crank's knife-edged and the Ross forged pistons have a bit of a dome to them, giving us more confidence the engine's worth saving.

I installed it yesterday (with a fresh oil pump), put on all the ancillaries today, and fired it up tonight:

• Like 1