disc brake conversion 1972 620

lorozco

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are conversion brackets to upgrade the old drum brakes on '63-'78 kingpin Datsun pickups to disc brakes. (2) brackets with hardware are included. These will not fit behind 14" wheels, at least a 15" or bigger is required. 

Parts Needed:

Front
Rotors: 2002 Honda passport, 2001-2004 Isuzu Rodeo, 2002-2003 Rodeo sport
Calipers: 1988-1997 D21 (Hardbody) calipers for 4wd, 2.4L
Pads: 1988-1997 D21 (Hardbody) pads for 4wd, 2.4L
Lines: Use the rubber hoses for the Hardbody calipers, and make new steel lines for the truck on the pre-1973 trucks only. The 620’s have the right thread on the hardlines and will hook right up.
Hardware: 12mm bolts are required to mount the caliper to the brackets, and 10mm bolts are required to mount the bracket to the spindle assy.

Master Cylinder

7/8” or 15/16” bore from any year 280zx with vertical mounting tabs. The 620 master cylinder will also work, but the mount has to be modified to fit the firewall on the pre-1973 trucks.

Instructions:

Remove wheels
1. Remove brake lines at the frame (320,520, and 521 only)
2. Remove drums
3. Remove dust cap and remove hub assembly
4. Un-bolt backing plate and remove
5. Install caliper bracket with ears facing rearward and spaced inboard
6. Install hub assembly onto spindle and re-install dust cap
7. Slide rotor over hub
8. Install calipers with bleeder at the top
9. Install lines
10. Bleed

Master cylinder
For 620 owners you can just replace the master with the larger bore M/C. To keep fabrication to a minimum use one that has the mounting tabs in the vertical position. I was able to use the 15/16” m/c and booster from a 720 but there was some modification needed to mount the booster itself. All of the fittings on the 620 are metric and you already have the required two lines. 520/521 install requires replacing the SAE fittings with metric ones. 520/521 installs will also require either a 280zx-proportioning valve or something comparable (Willwood adjustable) and lines run for the fronts.

Posted with the eBay Android app

• Like 5

who has the best front disc brake conversion kit for 73 620 trucks?

new to the forum, arent you?

Lulz

Draker above mentioned BEEBANI or Mklotz70.

Both can be PM'd here.

Bluehandsinc is Mklotz's website.

You can also go through silvermine.com to get a full kit. Those brackets are made by a game named krecs. His design is taken from BEBANI's brackets.

• Like 1

There is also a set of brackets to use the Z32 4-piston aluminum calipers with the Odyssey rotors.

Pretty sure BEEBANI makes them, maybe mklotz70 also.

Somewhere out there is an aluminum Toyota truck caliper that bolts to a Datsun. I've seen them, but I've never been able to find them.

Toyota truck calipers are a good place to start on any Datsun brake upgrade.

Easy search "Toyota 240z brake upgrade"

Here's a decent link.

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/38499-brake-upgrade-faq/

Not sure if Z car and everything else share brake caliper bolt spacing, but if they do, this should be the info you need Stoff.

• Like 1

Easy search "Toyota 240z brake upgrade"

Here's a decent link.

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/38499-brake-upgrade-faq/

Not sure if Z car and everything else share brake caliper bolt spacing, but if they do, this should be the info you need Stoff.

I specifically am interested in the aluminum Toyota caliper. Like I said, I've seen them on a 240Z, but never been able to source them.

brakes4.jpg

News to me that they are aluminum. Aluminum paint maybe....

The early four piston Toyota 4x4 calipers for non vented rotors? Went through four sets to find a pair that were re-buildable for my SAS 620. They are fucking HEAVY and cast iron. I also have a set of the wider ones for the vented rotor and they are even HEAVYIER  and rusty as shit. So where are the aluminum ones?????????,

Years ago I was at the track and looking at a friend's race car. He had aluminum calipers and I asked him what the application was. He said they were Toyota mini truck 4x4.

I know the difference between cast iron and cast aluminum. I also am very adept in the Toyota 4x4 parts world. Yet, I have never seen the aluminum 4x4 calipers again.

Was he mistaken? Don't know, but my recollection tells me that visually, these aluminum calipers were identical to the ferrous counterparts.

I know guys used to use Porsche calipers on their Datsuns, but these were not Porsche.

• 6 years later...
On 9/28/2016 at 3:42 PM, Doctor510 said:

There are conversion brackets to upgrade the old drum brakes on '63-'78 kingpin Datsun pickups to disc brakes. (2) brackets with hardware are included. These will not fit behind 14" wheels, at least a 15" or bigger is required. 

Parts Needed:

Front
Rotors: 2002 Honda passport, 2001-2004 Isuzu Rodeo, 2002-2003 Rodeo sport
Calipers: 1988-1997 D21 (Hardbody) calipers for 4wd, 2.4L
Pads: 1988-1997 D21 (Hardbody) pads for 4wd, 2.4L
Lines: Use the rubber hoses for the Hardbody calipers, and make new steel lines for the truck on the pre-1973 trucks only. The 620’s have the right thread on the hardlines and will hook right up.
Hardware: 12mm bolts are required to mount the caliper to the brackets, and 10mm bolts are required to mount the bracket to the spindle assy.

Master Cylinder

7/8” or 15/16” bore from any year 280zx with vertical mounting tabs. The 620 master cylinder will also work, but the mount has to be modified to fit the firewall on the pre-1973 trucks.

Instructions:

Remove wheels
1. Remove brake lines at the frame (320,520, and 521 only)
2. Remove drums
3. Remove dust cap and remove hub assembly
4. Un-bolt backing plate and remove
5. Install caliper bracket with ears facing rearward and spaced inboard
6. Install hub assembly onto spindle and re-install dust cap
7. Slide rotor over hub
8. Install calipers with bleeder at the top
9. Install lines
10. Bleed

Master cylinder
For 620 owners you can just replace the master with the larger bore M/C. To keep fabrication to a minimum use one that has the mounting tabs in the vertical position. I was able to use the 15/16” m/c and booster from a 720 but there was some modification needed to mount the booster itself. All of the fittings on the 620 are metric and you already have the required two lines. 520/521 install requires replacing the SAE fittings with metric ones. 520/521 installs will also require either a 280zx-proportioning valve or something comparable (Willwood adjustable) and lines run for the fronts.

Posted with the eBay Android app

If I currently have 1978 front disk brakes on my 620 can I reuse my hubs in combination with the D21 parts list above?

Thank you 🙏