Carrier Bearing Question...

720inOlyWa

I replaced the carrier bearing with all the bits in place just right. Assume this is true.

As I torque the flange nut to specs (196-235 bs.) I check the bearing to see how freely it rotates. Once tightened all the way, the carrier bearing rotates okay but does not spin freely, like a roller skate. It isn’t tight, it spins fine, it just sin’t spinning freely. That seems like it should be okay to me, but I don‘t really know how it should feel. I am just checking here before I reinstall it i the truck.

What is your experience?

• Like 1
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I went to 145 lbs. that’s the top value for my torque wrench. Im sorry, that was a typo. But you didn’t say how freely it should spin at that torque value. Like a roller skate wheel, or is it suppose to not quite freewheel when fully tightened?

Zero binding at all. It feels smooth. But it is not free and loose.... and not tight either. I would say it is like a new pair of shoes. It feels like some spinning would loosen it up nicely. But if it is supposed to spin freely once installed, like a skateboard wheel flicked by your thumb, it may be too tight. Thing is, there isnt a whole lot I could do about it either way. I re-assembled everything correctly and, once tightened to 145 lbs., it just got a little firmer in terms of spinability. Maybe I should have a driveline place look at it? That might be a slap in the face, however.

You're talking about the pinion flange, right?  Is there a crush collar inside or a solid spacer with shims? Either way, the bearing crush needs to be set.

If you just took it apart and did not replace the pinion bearings, and it has a spacer with shims, the correct torque should (in theory) give you the correct crush. If it has a crush collar, then it is possible to over tighten it and change the crush.

If you replaced the pinion bearings, then the crush needs to be set.

Either way, it should not spin freely, like a skateboard wheel. It should have a bit of drag. Too much and you'll burn up the pinion bearings. Too little and you'll tear up the gears. Always check it with a bit of oil on it as that changes the feel.

I suspect that you are right, Mike. But having never had the experience, I was pretty uncomfortable making the call. And asking a question like ‘Is this too tight?‘ on a forum is a pretty bad idea. You kind of have to look at it and make the call based upon knowledge and experience, which I do not have. So I did the right thing: this morning, I took it to Capital Driveline Balancing, out on Slater Kinney. They had been recommended by several people I respected, so I paid them a visit. An asian couple runs the business, which is 35 years old. They are lovely and highly knowledgeable people. I am so glad that I went there!

I took my 4x4 driveline in to have them just do the number on it and, as a side question, had them look at my carrier bearing install. He said ‘Just a little too tight. Sometimes aftermarket bearings rub here in the collar. I fix it for you‘ and with that, the deal was done. I had marked my front driveline with a permanent sharpie marker. But the kerosene wiped that permanent mark right off, so I did not have a line up for the front and back shafts. Man, did I feel dumb when that mark wiped off, without my noticing. “No problem. Bring in the back shaft and we will balance and remark for you.‘  Boom, done. Another local cool ass automotive services vendor is discovered.

Now I can go back to my important and pressing work in the engine compartment knowing that the driveline will not be an issue.

• Like 1

I can‘t wait to see how it all comes back. The shop owners asked what year / make the driveline was from and I told them. The husband (presumably) who had been examining the carrier bearing without comment, only piped up when I told her the year / make. “720? Very good truck.!” he said, and went back to examining my installation. Since he hadn’t spoken at all before that comment, I took his words to be sincere. Man, I really enjoy doing a little business in places like Capital Driveline Balancing.