Rust advi(c)e??

chris850

So I got rust (not many of us dont) my issue is the location. I want to keep the structure of the car solid and the superficial panels (fenders, doors and outside skin) in rough rusty bare metal type design. How do I need to go about attacking these areas? What thickness metal should I use anyone got any metal laying around they are willing to donate?

20160926_103031_zpsckevtfrn.jpg
20160926_102958_zps0j8hxfrw.jpg

20160926_103009_zpsqeyfqj7n.jpg

20160926_103036_zps75pmooet.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the car is not worth making right then look at what's available at the local hardware store in square tubing. Anything they stock will probably be plenty thick but don't go to thick. Focus on the structure first then deal with areas you need sealed off. If the car is a real shit box you plan to beat to death, once you get the strength put back into the chassis fiber glass the rest.

I would chop all that rusty metal off and remove those spot welds. Then use paper to make templates of the replacement metal. Then weld it in. You don't need to go too thick on the replacement metal. 

A metal brake would go a long ways when making the new parts. Overall, it's a lot of work, but it looks like pretty basic bents/patches.

• Like 1

It's really not as bad as it looks. As far as the actual structure of the car goes. This is it. The underside of the car is 100 percent solid. This is the worst of it. You should have seen the amount of leafs and dead insects i pulled out of there. Pretty sure it sat for a while under an oak tree for a number of years.

wait why is there a A series in your engine bay

and are those volks wheels

Because it's a 78 b210 and thats what came in them????? And no they are not Volk wheels they are authentic august feroce. Lol wheels are worth twice what the car is. Hahahaha
  • Like 1