Datsun 510 Suspension and Wheel Spec Options

DatsunP510

Hey everyone, I am new to the forum but have owned my 69 Datsun 510 for about 5 years now. It has just been stripped and is being blasted, panelled and painted shortly. I will make a separate build thread if the build is something that will interest you. I am from Auckland, New Zealand.

Anyways, I am just in the process of purchasing a whole lot of front suspension gear from Techno Toy Tuning (T3), as well as a Rear Jacker Kit from Troy Ermish.

The gear from T3 will include their 280zx coil over strut casings married with 280zx hubs and their big brake setup. I will also be purchasing camber plates, lower control arms, tension control rods and bump steer spaces so I will have a lot of control over the setup. From what I understand, combining 280zx struts and hubs will give me about an additional 12mm of clearance on each side.

With regard to the rear, I will be installing one of Troy Ermish's rear jack kits. Hubs and rear drums will remain. Rear cross member will also remain as is.

I am planning on bringing in some SSR MKIIIs and they are not cheap. So I don't want to bring them in and have them not fit. I am wanting 15s and the link below provides some detail on the wheel specs:

http://www.ssr-wheels.com/wheels/mk3.asp

For the front, I am thinking 15x7 with zero offset (68mm dish). The back I wanted 15x7.5 with -6 offset (81mm dish) but am worried that the back is not going to work/fit without extensive guard work. I don't want to modify the exterior of the guards massively, so will 15x7s with 0 offset on the rear as well be the safer option?

What are you guys thoughts/comments?

I will try get some pics up tomorrow of the look I am after.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15x7 you might still have to roll the rears depending on tire size.

I run 15x7 +25 but on stuck struts. they fit fine with lots of clearance.  280zx struts pull the front in 3/4 inch so this is a plus.  but it nice to have the rear rim with a deeper dish than the front

i have 195/45/15 Nexens

Thanks. I was thinking 195/45/15s in regard to tyres. It is nice to have a wider rear tyre with extra dish, but I am struggling to see how I can achieve this without have a positive offset for my front rims and then having to add a space to get the wheels flush with my guard.

15x7 worked in the rear for me without any modification, and that was with a 205/50/15 tire. Not really any room to spare at that point, they fill the wells.

Cool, thanks man. I think a 7 inch wheel with 0 offset all around might be the save option then. It's a three piece wheel so I can always have a wider lip put on later.

Judging by the parts you've purchased and questions you are asking it sounds like you are looking for a conventional or as I call it a "proper alignment", not a "style" set-up with pulled fenders and huge camber angles to create tire/fender clearance. The trap in running a proper alignment is most all deep lip wheels won't work.

I sell 15x7 +18 wheels to folks looking to fit bigger wheels/tires  that into a stock wheel openings using a proper suspension alignment.

My comment on using staggered wheel/tire sizes is this. There is no performance advantage from a handling viewpoint, but having the same size front and rear wheels/tires will allow you to rotate the tires for longer life. If you need different offsets, like with the 280ZX struts up front, then use spacers at that end to adjust offset.

Judging by the parts you've purchased and questions you are asking it sounds like you are looking for a conventional or as I call it a "proper alignment", not a "style" set-up with pulled fenders and huge camber angles to create tire/fender clearance. The trap in running a proper alignment is most all deep lip wheels won't work.

I sell 15x7 +18 wheels to folks looking to fit bigger wheels/tires  that into a stock wheel openings using a proper suspension alignment.

My comment on using staggered wheel/tire sizes is this. There is no performance advantage from a handling viewpoint, but having the same size front and rear wheels/tires will allow you to rotate the tires for longer life. If you need different offsets, like with the 280ZX struts up front, then use spacers at that end to adjust offset.

Thanks Dave. You are from Futofab aye? I ordered a number of steel parts and bumpers off you a couple of months ago to NZ. Much appreciated and the parts are great.

I measured the wheels I used to have on the car and they are 17x7 Lenzo RS5's with a +42 offset. I did run 25-28mm spaces though, effectively making them a +15 to +18 wheel. These were just beyond the guards in the front and tucked into the guards at the rear with a little clearance (guards rolled).

The offset options I have for the wheels I want are +0, +13 and +26. With the offset and measurements I worked through today, I do not see a +0 wheel working for what I want. In that regard, I think I am going to settle for the +13 offset. As you say, I can always run a small spacer in the front if need be.