JDM L18 motor

Cookomnia

Hi

Long time 510 maniac but new to this forum. Looking for some quick advice regarding my L18. A friend wants to purchase the motor but I have no idea on the current market value. This is a vintage L18 SSS motor brought in from Japan in 1974. Complete and strong runner with single point distributor A87 head etc. any thoughts greatly appreciated.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The blocks are all the same.

Not SSS if it does not ha e the 219 head.

Buyer beware if you're purchasing without hearing it run.

Factor that part in to your haggling.

L18 with an A87...could be a 620 motor. Maybe a 610.

Where's your proof this is JDM? Is that A87 a closed chambered head?

Just curious. Would you look for any numbers cast into the front of that A87 head for me? If so, what do they say.

Did have? Without the carbs it's going to be a hard sell.  Maybe someone who wanted a period correct '71 Coupe engine? with the optional L18SSS. The L20B would be just as good and there are better engines.

Hi

So just to be clear I am not trying to sell the motor just looking

For possible value as I already have a friend that wants it for his vintage race car

The engine was originally built by Bills Datsun here in Portland

Back in the 70's. The head is ported with comp double valve springs

And a custom ground cam from Oregon Cam Grinding. As for markings on the head all I

Found were at the rear and they were #29 628.

The block # is L18 627119

Thanks

Hi

Way before my time we're talking 42 years ago.

I did look on the front of the head but did not see any numbers.

As noted I purchased my 510 with this motor already in it from the original owner

6 years ago. Great car and great motor. I am only

Letting it go as I have a new LZ 22 going in my car

Thanks

All you can do is pull the head off the block to see what you have, if it is closed chamber, has 1 1/2 inch intake ports, and large valves it is basically a 219 head, that is worth something, now what it is worth really depends on condition, if it has brass seats in it, well that is bad as they will need to be removed and replaced with hardened seats, if it needs a valve job, well that is bad too, it's the head that is worth something, L18 blocks are what they are, something special, but not that special.

So your friend wants to buy it, I will assume it runs, I will also assume it has the dual SUs on it, that makes it worth something if not wore out, but the A87 head is nothing that special, you can buy them at the wrecking yards for under a $100.00, a good set of used dual SUs can be had for under $200.00, I paid $150.00 at the Portland swap meet last April, blocks are cheap at the wrecking yard, it's all very subjective, if he is a friend make him a deal, that way you don't have to store an engine and have to deal with it if you move, or need to move it. 

Blocks don't really sell on craigslist that fast, and folks need to hear them run to get any type of premium price, otherwise you will be lucky to get $200.00 for it if it is sitting on the floor in a garage, less if it has no intake system.

Some 219 heads have the numbers on the very front and A87 cast on the side. The A87 has smaller ports but can be made larger although this usually amounts to a gasket matching and not the full length on the ports. If it had been a 219 head (with the 1.5" ports and large valves) I would find it easier to believe it was really an L18SSS. Anyone can bolt SUs to an L18 and call it an SSS.

If your friend is in serious need of an engine, any engine, then $200 is a good deal. ANY L series that runs and doesn't burn oil and can be expected to get several tens of thousands of miles out of it is worth at least $200. If he is expecting an L18SSS and you charge more he may be disappointed. Or he may not care that much as long as he thinks it's an L18SSS. 

If he's your friend make him a deal. It's good to see your old stuff getting some use.

I've been getting $350 for the L18 complete SHORTBLOCKS from the SCCA guys.............they need them, and they are getting scarce in most parts of the country east of the west coast!  The SCCA guys can not run the L20B's in most groups.  Most of the VINTAGE race groups do allow the use of L20B's.

A87 casting heads were made in both OPEN chamber & CLOSED/PEANUT chamber, so you must pull the cyl head to assess value.  The last three L18's that I pulled the A87 cyl heads off of were all closed chamber.......I got lucky!

Hope that helps!

TJ

Denver 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey datzenmike!!  Yeah, been WORKING at a vintage race shop here in Denver (www.igniteperformanceusa.com), so not as much free time to spend on forum! 

Yes, I have been getting $350 for the L18 SHORTBLOCKS, no cyl heads, almost all going to SCCA guys.  I have NOT paid attention to USA-spec (ie early 620) vs JDM-spec SSS, don't know if there is even a way to differentiate......??  No reason not to use em in a street car, I just prefer to use our Datsun BIG BLOCK L20B!! :rofl: :w00t:

The JDM import have the raised boss oil filter mount with the four bolt holes around them. Apparently the JDM L18 block vent is just like the L20B and vertical. Our L16/18 block vent came out the side of the block not the top,