Not so RAD!

pwrcat4000

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"You are a very patient man sir"

Pulling a horse trailer with a 521 was actually not that slow.  It was in the 1970's, and the freeway speed limit was 55 MPH.   When Nissan saw the 520, and 521 trucks were starting to sell good in the USA, because of the changes of price and availability of gasoline, Nissan engineers geared the 521/L-16 truck to run at the engines peak torque RPM, at 55 to 60 MPH.

It really did not take that much longer to get somewhere with a horse trailer and a 521, than it did with a horse trailer and a Ford F250.  And the 521 used a lot less that half the gas the ford would use to go to the same place.

Thread hijack over.

If your engine and radiator combo has a tendency to over heat, putting in a cooler thermostat will not help, unless you are replacing a bad thermostat.  The amount of heat (not temperature) a radiator radiates depends on the temperature difference between the coolant, and the air going through it.  If you have a 160 degree thermostat, and the air temperature is 100 degrees, that is only a 60 degree difference.  Put in a 180, or a 190 degree thermostat, and the on the same 100 degree day, the temp difference is 80 or 90 degrees, and the radiator transfers a lot more heat to the air.

Again yesterday, I got a load of hay with my 521.  It was in the high 80's when I got the hay, and I have to run my 521 close to full throttle between my hay supplier, and my barn, going up some hills.  The temperature gauge ran almost a needle width above the center line on the temp gauge.  Typical load of hay, 20 bales about 70 pounds each.

HayampBoards2_zpsptrnzwgp.jpg

• Like 1

flatcat, what temp is ur stat?

185* stat. If I'm just cruising my temp will stay in the middle.

And when I say I do 75mph, I do that. Not just touch it and drop down. Sustained speed for miles.

I just love the looks on people's faces when I pass them in the Datsun.

• Like 2