1982 Datsun 210 Hatchback heater core (and general parts availibility!)

Hello all!  New to this forum. It was recommended to my by the guy who sold me this car.  I got my daughter a 1982 Datsun 210 Hatchback. I was a bit hesitant when I saw the car on Craigslist, but when I looked at it and drove it I was pleasantly surprised!  It's a little rough on the outside, but the engine compartment and all the goodies therein are in pretty good shape.  It is a solid running car!

However, as I am finding out, certain parts for this year of Datsun are very hard to come by! Specifically the heater core.  The old one is still in the car, but it has been bypassed.  Being prior military, I always plan for the worst and hope for the best, so while I will remove it and see if I can repair it, I have already begun my search for a replacement.  Not seeing a lot out there!

I am looking for advice on this.  If I can't find one or repair the original, I was thinking of trying to find a similar one of like dimensions and making the needed modifications to make it work.  Does anyone have any experience with this?

I found an aftermarket heater core, blower combination called the Flexalite Mojave Heater.  I have some friends that have them installed in their Jeeps and they work pretty well.  They can be mounted almost anywhere.  The problem is that  I would like to use the original plenum box because the original blower motor works and all the ducting is sound I.E. my little girl will actually have defrost!  I'm pretty sure that this unit won't fit in the original plenum, which would require me to modify the plenum, or reroute the ducting to accommodate for defrost,  which I can do, but that would mean no more diverter valve and hence no temperature control (heater on, interior warm and defrosted, and sweating kid unless windows down to compensate!  We live in the rainy side of Washington state so that's a no go!)

Any advice or input on this would be welcome!

And if anyone can tell me how to upload a pic, that would be great too!

Thanks

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks newbie!  Got to looking and mine is actually good!  I do however need a heater control unit and a drivers side headlight ring (not the bezel, but the ring that holds the headlight in and allows for beam adjustment).

Will post pics soon!  Thanks to all for your help and input!