60 series transmission difference and clutch question

gcs16

My B310 needed a new clutch so it was finally time to visit the parts car and swap it's 5 speed for my 4. Both are standard shift with 60 on the case. I got them both pulled and set on the "bench" and noticed the two plugs with wires are in different locations. I'm assuming one is for the reverse light. What is the other one? The wires on the car seem like they had enough extra to reach the corresponding plugs on the 5 speed. If not I guess I'll splice in a length of wire. Also what are the torque specs for the clutch and bellhousing? And how doyou keep the engine from turning over when torqueing the clutch? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide. Also I now have a four speed I I won't be needing if anyone wants that for cheap.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There were two 60 series 5 speeds and one of them was a dogleg shift pattern.

Dogleg:

R..2..4

Regular:

2..4..R

First thing is, place it in the same position as your four speed's first gear. Turn the input shaft and confirm that the output is turning in the same direction. If it is opposite, then you have the 1/2 year only FS5W60L dogleg. This is fine works just as well just the shift pattern is different.

If you have the FS5W60A with 4 speed shift pattern plus an overdrive 5th above reverse it's a newer '80.5-'82? Model Year transmission.

I'm guessing your four speed reverse light switch was low down on the tail ? Reverse wires are usually Red/Black stripe. The 5 speed will have the same color wires.

The other switch is probably a top gear switch. There is a neutral switch but this was for California cars I think.

Pressure plate mounting bolts torque I don't have

Has overdrive 5th above reverse(per the pattern on shifter knob) also confirmed by turning the shaft and shifting into reverse as you describe. It came out of an 81 going into a 79 both are not California cars. Wires are the same color on both (red stripe and black on reverse) and the reverse switch is low down on the tail on both but the yellow wire mystery switch is more toward the front on the 4 speed. Will the torque values matter so much as long as they are even? Just want to say thanks again,for the encyclopedic knowledge you all share on here it really is amazing.

Well the L series clutch bolts are 10-15 ft lbs. Can't see the A series being smaller bolts than that.

From Datsun 1200 Club.... http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Clutch

Tightening Torque
* Clutch cover bolts: 1.5 - 2.2 kg-m (10.8 - 15.9 ft. lb.)* 1974 & up: 12-15 ft. lb.