Steering Column

Abnrml1

I have an '81 4x4 and I need to know if there is any way to adjust the steering column. I need to move it forward a little because the wheel is right up against my fat stomach when I sit in the truck. I'm working on the weight problem but in the mean time I'd like to move the column. Clearance to the dash is not a problem because I just pulled the dash out because it was falling apart. I'm going to build a custom dash later but I either need to move the stock column or replace it with a shorter one. I appreciate your help with this.

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a flange welded to the column at the firewall, and there is a bracket that mounts to the dash that's welded on too. You could always cut those pieces off and move the column and weld them back on, but then you'd probably have to shorten the steering shaft. A lot of work.

Or, you could get a steering wheel with less dish. Maybe a smaller diameter too.

• Like 1

They are splined so they collapse in an accident.  Maybe 2 " could be compressed.

There is a flange welded to the column at the firewall, .

I don't think it's welded on but it is a snug fit. I just checked the 720 tilt column I have and there is no obvious weld. I test fit a power steering box in my 710 that was longer so the column had to be 'compressed' slightly. That flange was moved down the column by tapping with a hammer.

• Like 1

I have to cut the lower piece off when I use them in my 521 conversions, it doesn't slide off for me, but that really doesn't matter as the top mount piece is welded on, and is not adjustable.

The tilt column tilts up farther than the non-tilt column, so I would suggest a tilt column, power steering(I believe it's a bolt on with a Z block), and a smaller steering wheel if needed, if you cannot find a tilt column then try a smaller steering wheel.

I normally would say to either move the seat back or lower it, both are hard to do on a 720 because of the way the seat mounts.

• Like 2

Shorten the column or get a king cab.  Your belly is probably like mine paid for and keeping it!  LOL

My shortened column on my 1980 720 chassis in my 1966 520.

Before shortening.

Waynos520KCModded.jpg

After shortening.

DSC02310.jpg

Not a good picture but it shows how much stomach room there is now. 

• Like 1