1974 620 patina perfection

TDCTDI

Not trying to bore y'all again... but...

41F4B13C-6B72-4D09-8015-F776FBCAFC14_zps

I pulled the left rear apart to replace the brake parts there too & you can see that the shoes had delaminated. If you look at the adjuster, you can see that the brakes had never been adjusted, at least not properly.

A9A1B5CE-8299-49D4-A20F-CF8D8605E302_zps

Upon re-installing everything, I realized that the only adjustment ever done was to use the parking brake as the adjustment for the rear shoes. I'll have to loosen the parking brake before I can adjust the shoes.

1A18ED9F-5FD0-40D6-A613-63D8B337C82B_zps

Just a down & dirty way of cleaning the center bore on the drum, I spun it on one of the old brake shoes.

• Like 1
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

be honest Im amazed how you go that drum off. with the hub still on the truck.

I have 3 sets of 521 drums and PB Blastered them and put the hub on 2x4 and then pounded with a 3 pound slege all along the back side to even get it to move.

Got drums turned and put Antiseize on mating surface reassembled

Soo... if you have to resort to pulling the hub to get the drum off the front, how are you removing the rear drums?
  • Like 1

Well, after another three hours & four quarts of brake fluid I got the rest of the brakes done & flushed what appeared to be runny oatmeal with raisins out of the entire brake system & got them at least functioning, ill have to finish adjusting them to get them safe.

In the meantime, for all you picture whores...

5BDED700-5616-4841-921B-98DC48383FF7_zps

C43AFFA4-63FD-4CC9-80B8-E95207E20B00_zps

• Like 3

Looks great.

Did you blow the lines out with air?

Thanks! Unfortunately, no. It was not close enough to get an air hose to it & It took some pedal pressure to clear the lines anyway. Once I get everything adjusted properly I'm going to stand on the brakes to check the integrity of the hard lines.
  • Like 2