L16 timing / carb

Kyle253

So I've been trying to get this 521 running again. I just got it a few weeks ago and it was running really rough so I checked it out and the carb idle screws were spun way out and the distributor was maxed retard. All I did was adjusted the carb first to get it running better and then I tried adjusting the time back to 0 from tdc the rotor is at spark 1. Now it won't start and and backfires from carb. It's not a weber, that's all I know about it. Is this a timing or carb issue?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Set to TDC using the timing scale and the ZERO mark on the crank pulley.

Take distributor out by removing the two 10mm bolts on the bottom of the spindle. You should see this....

distributortiming.jpg

Someone has probably put the oil pump spindle in a tooth off.... easy fix.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replys everyone. I think I got it figured out. I think the carb was the problem. I got the truck started with either and it ran fine. So I checked the carb and it was basically dripping fuel into the barrel. I might just rebuild it. Weber is a little out of the price range at the moment.

And I do know Dan (dat521gatherer) he's helped me a few times on my last 521. He gave me a few places to look with this current problem too.

Gas dripping is just the float chamber being over filled and this can only be a couple of things and easy to fix with the carb on the vehicle.

Float is out of adjustment... unlikely it could ever get that far out by itself.

Float is not floating, is leaking and full of fuel. This only applies to the hollow brass floats.

Dirt caught in the needle valves. Can't shut off fuel from pump and over fills. (most likely)