replacement gas tank for '79

D.R.F.15

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

'78 and '79 620 gas tanks are different. I had to replace the one in a '78 I had and picked one out of a '79. Both were king cabs. I'm not sure of the differences as I had someone else do the work. They had a '78 620 and took the tank out of that.

So I do have a '79 kc tank with a repaired dent available.

Reg cab short wheelbase and King Cab trucks use the same tank '78-'79.17201-B9800. 50 liters (11 US gal)

Reg cab, long wheelbase are 'longer' tanks 17201-B9860 but still the '78-'79 still applies. 64 liters (14 US gal) This tank would extend forward under the cab if used on a long wheelbase King Cab... it can't, the front top of the tank does not clear the cab. Later 720 trucks have a notch in the top of the tank for clearance.

• Like 1

Reg cab short wheelbase and King Cab trucks use the same tank '78-'79.17201-B9800. 50 liters (11 US gal)

Reg cab, long wheelbase are 'longer' tanks 17201-B9860 but still the '78-'79 still applies. 64 liters (14 US gal) This tank would extend forward under the cab if used on a long wheelbase King Cab... it can't, the front top of the tank does not clear the cab. Later 720 trucks have a notch in the top of the tank for clearance.

If the '78 has a build date prior to Jan '78 than it is the bed mounted type of tank, frame mount is Jan '78 and on. My buddy has a '78 with a build date of 11/77 and the tank is a bed mount. He does, however, have disc brakes.
  • Like 1

Correct. Half way through the '78 model year went to frame mount. Thanks Jersey

1980 720 regular cab is the same tank.

They may very well interchange, but way different part numbers, Charlie. The '80 to mid '82 2wd and 4x4 gas tanks were the same for reg and long frame trucks. Same capacity as the 620 still.

• Like 2

I have compared them side by side and they are the same tank.  The sending units are a little different but can be inter changed.

Mike the part numbers for the 1980 720 upper control arms are different part numbers then the 1985-86 part numbers but they are identical parts.

I have compared them side by side and they are the same tank.  The sending units are a little different but can be inter changed.

Mike the part numbers for the 1980 720 upper control arms are different part numbers then the 1985-86 part numbers but they are identical parts.

My info shows RH 2wd 720 upper as 54533-01W00 up to 10 '82.... 11 '82 and on, is a superseded number 54533-25W00. If you ask for the old number the new one is also shown. My guess is some manufacturing process was changed or maybe the maker/supplier, something not obvious. Maybe the part was hardened differently? Different metal alloy? Same with the tank.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

That looks like a short wheelbase regular cab tank. If you have a long wheelbase King Cab 720, the tank is longer has a notch at the top front for clearance. The Long Box tank (with regular cab) is also longer but does not need the notch. It's also the highest capacity tank.