What should I be paying for a carburetor rehaul?

I've got a buddy up here with a Z24 equipped 720 4x4 and he just put on a DGV Weber. The kit he purchased included enough doo-dads to make the carb look like it belongs there. I don't know how, but his passed smog testing...!

If it looks stock, uses the stock air cleaner, has enough tubes and wires coming out of it, maybe they won't notice.

• Like 1
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, he's worked on the carb and the fuel lines. Begin to drive the truck and it would run fine for ten minutes then the engine would stop. He lowered the gas tank and discovered rust and particles on the tank. he believes that these particles may be breaking of and clogging the flow of fuel. He put some nuts in the tank with some clean gas and has shaken it around. He still doesn't want to send it home, he would rather have it taken to a shop that professionally cleans gas tanks to bring it back to new condition before sending it home with me so he can fully stand behind the work. the carb work plus what he's done to the gas tank is already 500. He said he would cut his labor charge for the fuel tank if I paid to have it professionally cleaned so he can be comfortable sending the truck home. So I'd be looking at something like 600 for carb work, fuel line replacement, fuel filter replacement, and the gas tank removed, professionally cleaned, and reassembled.

My choices:

1. Have him put the gas tank back on and pay 500 and hope that the particles that come off aren't enough to plug the bottom drain hole of the fuel tank. Then just clean the fuel filter as residue comes out.

2. Have the gas tank it professionally cleaned and reassembled for a total of 600 for the entire job. Pay the man, and drink a large beer.

• Like 1

Have it towed home he's milking this for $500 you could have had a new carb. Pay him off and get away from him... he smells your money.

Anything in the tank will be caught by the fuel filter. Put a new one on and try driving it home or tow it.

• Like 2

Have it towed home he's milking this for $500 you could have had a new carb. Pay him off and get away from him... he smells your money.

Anything in the tank will be caught by the fuel filter. Put a new one on and try driving it home or tow it.

Exactly my thoughts.....

• Like 1

I would be concerned about the flakes in the tank coming off and exposing a pinhole.

Take the tank out and have it professionally cleaned and sealed.

I know there are a lot of shady mechanics out there, but why would you expect anyone to cut their labor for work that they have done. If you trust the guy, pay him. He's probably got a family to feed.

• Like 1

Point taken...  I think I was more upset about not being notified when work was about to go over the estimated amount. It put me in a tight spot when the tank was already off the truck. I didn't have much of a choice. I was also concerned that we went to the most expensive fix before maybe addressing the cheaper alternatives. I know diagnosing is not black and white. I think he means well and he wants to stand by his work and that's why he doesn't want to send it home without taking care of this rusted tank that may give problems down the road.

I would be concerned about the flakes in the tank coming off and exposing a pinhole.

Take the tank out and have it professionally cleaned and sealed.

I know there are a lot of shady mechanics out there, but why would you expect anyone to cut their labor for work that they have done. If you trust the guy, pay him. He's probably got a family to feed.

• Like 1

I had an issue with a 510 tank - that many filters could not fix.  It was exactly like your tank.  the problem only went away when I got the tank dipped.  Solved everything.  

I think your mechanic is probably a good guy.  While removing the tank is not a hard job - it is work.  And figuring the time he spent diagnosing, carb work and tank RR it seems fair.  Should he have contacted you regarding tank issue? yes.  But until he took it out, he couldn't tell what the issue was.  Having that work done in so cal would be more $ than he is quoting I'm sure.  

If you don't clean the tank, you could constantly be chasing this issue.  

@cheetahking thanks for sharing your experience. like I said, I think he means well. the communication was rough to start but it's steadily improved. I didn't want to take the truck home without his word that he thinks he covered all the problems that were causing it to not run a 100%. At least I know this won't be an issue down the road, the truck did sit for a year and a half after this lady's husband died which probably contributed to the rust flakes and build up. I was partly sticker shocked that I would be paying that much after just buying it, hoping it was only needing some carb work. I wouldn't feel comfortable letting something go in my business that had the potential for error. Most of it comes back on me for not being prepared for these potential problems and not being more educated about the purchase. It definitely would have affected my offer price.

14o52ja.jpg

2qi0duf.jpg

This tank is CLEAN. You should see a dirty one.

Point taken...  I think I was more upset about not being notified when work was about to go over the estimated amount. It put me in a tight spot when the tank was already off the truck. I didn't have much of a choice. I was also concerned that we went to the most expensive fix before maybe addressing the cheaper alternatives. I know diagnosing is not black and white. I think he means well and he wants to stand by his work and that's why he doesn't want to send it home without taking care of this rusted tank that may give problems down the road.

Bless you for being so trusting and naive. Unfortunately it will cost you in this world. The longer your car stays there the more he will find wrong and charge for.

• 3 weeks later...