Fried alternator wires... but why?

Apollo77

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This does not happen often right out of the blue. Need more info... what have you done to your truck recently? This is an externally regulated alternator so have you replaced the alternator recently? The regulator??? Had the battery out?

Which two wires?

There's a large Black ground and a power wire, then there's the two much smaller that go to the plastic plug.

• Like 1

I haven't changed the battery, alt, or Reg in a long while. Most I've done in the last 6 months was a new belt. I put some led lights in the front signals and added an led strip in the back. Also put some new stereo equipment in. I had been blowing my gas gauge fuse thinking it had something to do with the Rev light but then I saw that and it makes more sense. Large ground is fine and so is the med power, it was the other two that go to the regulator

I haven't changed the battery, alt, or Reg in a long while. Most I've done in the last 6 months was a new belt. I put some led lights in the front signals and added an led strip in the back. Also put some new stereo equipment in. I had been blowing my gas gauge fuse thinking it had something to do with the Rev light but then I saw that and it makes more sense. Large ground is fine and so is the med power, it was the other two that go to the regulator

The gas gauge fuse? This fuse also powers the Temp, Oil, Charge and Brake lights in the dash, also the turn signals so, any comment on this???