Raising 79 620

Trod8812

I have a 1979 Datsun 620 and it currently has 3 inch lowering blocks, ride quality is complete shit and I want to go back to stock height or just below so I can actually haul some weight without bottoming out or having the bed rub the tries. I want to know what parts I will need to accomplish this.

• Like 1
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the information, another question I have is, when I step on the break pedal the first time it goes about half way to the floor and if I let off and imidiatly press it again I have a substantially more stopping power and the pedal does not go as far, what could cause that. And when I have a little bit of weight in the truck and press the brakes it pulls to the left but is fine when no weight is it the bed.

Trod I suppose you have pads on both sides of the rotor? Do the pads have lots of mileage on them? If so you can tell the slide pins are bad by comparing boths pads on one side. If one wears out more, its likely that the pins are dry and dont let the caliper slide and make more pressure on the piston side.

Double pumping usually is the brake adjustment.  The rear brakes on this are drums- they do NOT have self-adjusters, so must be manually adjusted all the time (not as often as ones with front drums, but still).  If one is WAY out of adjustment, it won't be doing and work, but will cause excessive pedal travel and pulling to the opposite side. 

Usually the rear adjusters freeze up due to no one adjusting them regularly.  Hell, I adjust mine every other oil change and mine still froze and I had to pull the drum and partially pull the shoes to free up the adjuster (which involved a vice, a pair of channel locks, and a propane torch).

Pulling could also be the disc fronts, of course, so they need to be inspected.  If they're wearing uneven, it could be air in the lines or a bad caliper on one side.  Most of your stopping is done in the front.

• Like 1

The only other weird thing is that when I apply the brakes the direction it pulls will change from left to right, what I mean is, when I alloy the brakes it will pull hard to the left, then after driving a little ways I apply the brakes again and it will either hold straight or pull slightly to the right.

When ever you have a sudden problem, ask yourself...

What did I do to the truck lately?

What have I adjusted or replaced recently?

Do you have all radials? or mix of bias ply and nylons on it???

Check lug nuts tight

Check air pressure

Move fronts to back and see what....

• Like 1