Custom headliner

DatMo

So as many of you know, the hangers in a 510 are a complete pain in the ass and because of this, I'm really not looking forward do doing my headliner. Regardless, is there any other way you guys have done the headliner? I know some Datsun like a zx have a removable panel board and it makes it easy to wrap. Also, I've seen people make boards for others cars and get that done pretty easily. I've considered making a board but my only issue is mounting points.

• Like 1
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? Because it never sags? Because it looks period correct? Because it lasts?

Lol. Regardless of my opinion, I'll always have oppositions but I stated an opinion. I have my own reasons behind it. Anywho, sounds like you don't have a method? If you do, I'd like to hear it.
  • Like 1

All of the ceiling cards I've redone were press formed/molded. I doubt making a press dye would be worth the trouble though. Perhaps starting with a close match from the junk yard would be how I'd start. Then I'd spend a weekend trying to get it right. Drink too much out of frustration. Tear it out. Then re-install the factory vinyl...

I really just like being a jerk.

That and I'm right.

• Like 4

All of the ceiling cards I've redone were press formed/molded. I doubt making a press dye would be worth the trouble though. Perhaps starting with a close match from the junk yard would be how I'd start. Then I'd spend a weekend trying to get it right. Drink too much out of frustration. Tear it out. Then re-install the factory vinyl...

I really just like being a jerk.

That and I'm right.

I don't doubt it but I have my own vision and I'm willing to spend the week on it if it means I'll have done it properly and achieved my vision. I was think to use temp board with some glued mounts maybe? I'm not sure but what you stated seems accurate. I was gonna check out what a Volvo 240 had as well.

Really up to you how it looks. The hanging original headliner is the more efficient way to go. With a board you will get warping and what are you gonna do for the trim to finish it off? If you are set on it, get one from the junk yard that is sturdy. Then carefully remove the old foam headliner, and with a soft bristle brush off the residue foam. Stay away from the fiber glass insulation type as you will rub holes in it. Some of the Volvo and such have a foam blocks used as spacers and glued to the roof of the car. Use a glue like liquid nails=make sure its heat resistant tho. Good luck!

Go find a real book store like borders or Barnes and noble. They will have a section on automotive. Look for the books on how to or building custom or hot rod interiors. There are a few old school techniques for building the headliner you want. Read them all.

• Like 3

Thanks guys! This is great info! I'll definitely be looking into some books because I work next to one and I was actually already looking at a few j mags I have that do custom interiors and grilles from wood. As far as trims, I'll figure something out. Also, I've seen someone on here use wood and I would be interested in seeing how they did so.. Does anyone know the thread? I was thinking gorilla glue with some wood blocks to the ceiling? It's heat resistant as well.

Look into a glue called G-Flex, its a two part epoxy with unique properties. It's designed to be used on dissimilar materials, retains flexibility when dry, holds like a fucking vise. Hell, the stuff will bond and cure under water for boat repair.

I made the mistake of removing the bows? stays? on my 620. In the fall / winter, condensation would form on the cold metal and drip. I cut a piece of speaker grill 'cloth'. It was more like 1/4" thick, black, and firm enough to just press into place. Worked like a hot damn. Wasn't perfect.

Thanks guys! This is great info! I'll definitely be looking into some books because I work next to one and I was actually already looking at a few j mags I have that do custom interiors and grilles from wood. As far as trims, I'll figure something out. Also, I've seen someone on here use wood and I would be interested in seeing how they did so.. Does anyone know the thread? I was thinking gorilla glue with some wood blocks to the ceiling? It's heat resistant as well.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/34168-���-69-510-goon-build-����/?p=591497

I did this however im going to go right back to the stock headliner asap 

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/34168-���-69-510-goon-build-����/?p=591497

I did this however im going to go right back to the stock headliner asap

That looks great!

I've been googling some hot rod stuff and I've found s few options. The biggest bummer is that the roof is just so long.

• 2 weeks later...

wood is heavy

Well I was thinking of using some door panel material and wrapping them and screwing them into multiple locations in the car because it's so light. I don't see that drooping or anything and it's firm. I'm gonna sound deaden the entire roof and then this would go on top.